Wifi difference between Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Wifi difference between Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

Postby dnaddor on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi everyone.

This is my first post in this forum, so be gentle. :) This might be one of those easy to answer questions, but then again it might not.

I have an old Compaq Presario 2100US laptop with a LinkSys WPC54G PCMCIA card. I have WiFi working in both Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

In Ubuntu, I noticed a message about some missing files in /lib/firmware/b43legacy. I somehow managed to get the files from a cutter program, copy them, and now it works great.

I could never figure out how to do the same thing in LinuxMint. Instead, I had to use NdisWrapper.

So what is the problem? The signal level is 3 bars/4 bars in Ubuntu, but only 1 bar/4 bars in LinuxMint. iwconfig shows about 50-60 for Ubuntu, and only 15-20 for LinuxMint.

Does this make sense? Is there a way to use the firmware files in LinuxMint instead of NdisWrapper? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I have to provide more technical details.
dnaddor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wifi difference between Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

Postby delanov on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:35 am

dnaddor wrote:Hi everyone.

This is my first post in this forum, so be gentle. :) This might be one of those easy to answer questions, but then again it might not.

I have an old Compaq Presario 2100US laptop with a LinkSys WPC54G PCMCIA card. I have WiFi working in both Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

In Ubuntu, I noticed a message about some missing files in /lib/firmware/b43legacy. I somehow managed to get the files from a cutter program, copy them, and now it works great.

I could never figure out how to do the same thing in LinuxMint. Instead, I had to use NdisWrapper.

So what is the problem? The signal level is 3 bars/4 bars in Ubuntu, but only 1 bar/4 bars in LinuxMint. iwconfig shows about 50-60 for Ubuntu, and only 15-20 for LinuxMint.

Does this make sense? Is there a way to use the firmware files in LinuxMint instead of NdisWrapper? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I have to provide more technical details.

Sorry I cannot be of any help to you, but I'm hoping that you can help me. Can you tell me where I can find a complete instructons or what help you used for the mint ndiswrapper. Wifi adapter is USB Dongle with zd1211rw chipset. XP works well with the Dongle but I need to get MInt 5.0 up an running. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
regards
delanov
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wifi difference between Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

Postby gregnotcraig on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:08 am

"Ndiswrapper" is found in the administration menu - "Windows Wireless Drivers".
It's ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper-gtk, a gui that takes care of all the command line scary stuff for those afraid of/unfamiliar with the command line.
gregnotcraig
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions