Wifi difference between Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnaddor

Wifi difference between Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

Post by dnaddor »

Hi everyone.

This is my first post in this forum, so be gentle. :) This might be one of those easy to answer questions, but then again it might not.

I have an old Compaq Presario 2100US laptop with a LinkSys WPC54G PCMCIA card. I have WiFi working in both Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint 5.0

In Ubuntu, I noticed a message about some missing files in /lib/firmware/b43legacy. I somehow managed to get the files from a cutter program, copy them, and now it works great.

I could never figure out how to do the same thing in LinuxMint. Instead, I had to use NdisWrapper.

So what is the problem? The signal level is 3 bars/4 bars in Ubuntu, but only 1 bar/4 bars in LinuxMint. iwconfig shows about 50-60 for Ubuntu, and only 15-20 for LinuxMint.

Does this make sense? Is there a way to use the firmware files in LinuxMint instead of NdisWrapper? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I have to provide more technical details.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”