Ubuntu Personal Packages Archive in Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Ubuntu Personal Packages Archive in Mint?

Postby bobsaygrr on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Howdy all,

I love Mint, it lets a hamfisted, jelly-brain like me enter the mighty-mighty world of linux. Yay. For the most part, my journey into linux land has been yada-boom fun. Mint lets me test out a gazillion different things and applications and settings and then start over and do it again --- and I hardly EVER have to go into the terminal to make things happen.

So, I'm running Mint 5 XFCE version (cause it loves me and my ol' P3 Dell bestest of all) with 300-somethin'-somethin' Megs O' Ram and a 18-ish gig hard drive. (I don't think it's pertinent to my question, but there ya go.

So, here's the question: I wanna install XBMC --- ('cause I've not been too happy with any single media player yet, thought I'd add this one to the list :) ). Following links from the XBMC site, I end up here: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?p=185738, where I"m told to use an ubuntu Personal Packages Archive (PPA). Back when I was tinkering with linuxes (linuxi?), I had Hardy on the desktop downstairs, and I remember putting something or other on it using this method. I are smart enough to follow directions, but obviously can't go to "System → Administration → Software Sources and press Third-Party Software." In Mint.

I did mention I'm a moron, right? Oh. Guess I didn't. I'm a moron.

I did try to add the code "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-hardy/ubuntu hardy main" to Synaptic under repositories, where it said "New." I put it in the URL and hit "ok" and stuff certainly happened ... though I'll be horn-swaggled if I can say what, precisely. If XBMC was added, I cannot figure out where, nor what next step I might take.

A search here at the Linux forums tells me that several people have happily put XBMC on their Mint systems (Yay!), but none are morons such as myself, so seemed to know how to go about this.

Anyone care to spell out a step-by-step for one such as me? How do we go about dealing with those things that Ubuntu uses in Personal Packages Archive, things like XBMS?

Thanks in advance!

B.S.Grrr
"
"I am beginning to have more and more piercing doubts that my fontanel ever closed up properly." ---Dorothy Parker
bobsaygrr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ubuntu Personal Packages Archive in Mint?

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:33 pm

Synaptic --> Settings --> Repositories
Binary (deb)
URI: http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-hardy/ubuntu
Distribution: hardy
Selection(s):main
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby bobsaygrr on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:17 pm

Merlwiz,

Thank you, for your speedy reply and for your concise (someone said "terse," but I shooed them away) directions. XBMC is installed! Hooray! :D

It comes on then disappears "poof!" Oh well, that's all I need to know. VLC and Amarok win.

:mrgreen:

Thanks all the same.
BSG.
"I am beginning to have more and more piercing doubts that my fontanel ever closed up properly." ---Dorothy Parker
bobsaygrr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Do you have 3d acceleration drivers installed.
Edit: doesn't need them works fine here
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Newbie Questions