display issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

display issues

Postby ChristianD on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi all

New user here having some definite display issues. This is my first go at Mint linux. FYI. So i installed the OS and updated everything///ok...then i installed the nvidia drivers etc from the update....after the restart everything is freakin huge!!! It also seems that as I move the mouse the screen scrolls along with it. Basically I think i need to adjust the resloution and stop the screen from rolling all over the place. I can't seem to adjust the resolution due to some XRandR error or something. I need to know how to keep the desktop in one place and change the resolution....maybe i need to reinstall all the graphics drivers or maybe i have too many lol I DONT KNOW.

please help!!!
ChristianD
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: display issues

Postby ChristianD on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:08 am

ok making a touch of progress here....its definitely the nvidia drivers that make stuff go wonky. From what I hear display drivers are a bit of an issue with Linux?? yes no?

I have things back to normal by uninstalling the new nvidia drivers. I have been trying to get the desktop visual effects to work...when i try to enable them they auto download the nvidia drivers and then the problem starts again.

Does anyone have a good tutorial on getting the nvidia drivers installed and working properly??

Oh and here are the system specs

AMD 3800+ 64x2
Nvidia 7950gt 512 video card
2 g ram
ChristianD
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SpudGun on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:03 am

I've had all this before, what you need to do is install the drivers using envy, then after a restart, run the command: sudo nvidia-settings, that should give you the nvidia control panel , set the screen res from there.
SpudGun

Postby SpudGun on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:23 am

I forgot to say, click the save to x config button when finished.
SpudGun

Return to Newbie Questions