Connect to internet

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Connect to internet

Postby hary on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 pm

I have just installed Mint as my only os.
There seems to be a copy of Firefox in there but no desktop icon. How do I create this so Firefox appears when requested.

Also where is the "connect to" link, to start my dialup modem.
The modem will probably need a driver to be installed again, I have this on a DVD, shall I just run it and it will install ?
hary
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Connect to internet

Postby Mr. Blue on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:38 pm

I have no experience using a dialup modem in Mint, but the desktop icon I can help with.

You can find the Firefox menu item in Elyssa Main Menu -> Internet -> Firefox Web Browser.

Drag the firefox icon from the main menu to the desktop.
Mr. Blue
Level 2
Level 2

Postby msuggs on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 pm

You can set up your modem by going to

Administration --> Network

In the Mint Menu. From there click on the unlock button and enter your password. Then choose 'Point to Point connection' and click on Properties.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby hary on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:45 am

Thank you for the information.

This is the Mint 5 Elyssa, every time I start Linux it asks for my password, is it possible to disable this feature so that it just boots straight up.

Still no luck getting the modem to work. Is there a program I can download like a wizard that will do all the configuration required. I generally have no luck with run commands..

Edit} Looking through the stickys I see there is a strong suggestion to use an external linux friendly modem as ex-windows internals (which I have) rarely work..
hary
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mr. Blue on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:03 am

Elyssa Main Menu -> Administration -> Login Window

It'll ask for your password then take you to the login window preferences.

Under the 'Security' tab the first checkbox is named 'Enable Automatic Login'. Check the box and select your username from the dropdown menu.

Now Mint should boot straight to your desktop.
Mr. Blue
Level 2
Level 2

Postby msuggs on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:38 am

hary wrote: Looking through the stickys I see there is a strong suggestion to use an external linux friendly modem as ex-windows internals (which I have) rarely work..

Winmodem support is better than it used to be but you'll have much more success with an external modem if you have access to one.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions