Cannot upload files in firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot upload files in firefox

Post by marcia »

Dear All,

My brother has Daryna installed for him and his wife. His wife does internet teaching with Phoenix University online classes and has been successfully using linuxmint. Yesterday she tried to upload a file from her linuxmint into firefox and it would not load. It kept asking to attach the file but would not attach it. I do not have access to this computer so I cannot see what is going on.

My brother tried it himself with my help over the phone but no go. Is there a way to do this with linux? She was able to do it with windows firefox I believe. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My brother does not want to go back to windows but his wife needs to teach on the computer and upload files. Would the opera browser work better for this? I am not new to linux but I have not uploaded files to the net yet, a youtube movie a couple of years ago with sidux and it worked well. Cannot remember what I did now. This is a different situation.

They have dialup right now until their hughesnet satellite is fixed, I do not think that makes a difference here though.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Marcia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Cannot upload files in firefox

Post by msuggs »

Could you let us know which site she is trying to upload files to? On some sites like photobucket they have upgraded their uploader and it is necessary to revert to their traditional uploader to get things working in Firefox. Opera is worth a try and may improve the situation but often the problem can be because a site uses an uploader designed only to work effectively for Windows Explorer which in the long run is bad site design and not really a Linux problem.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Thank you for the prompt answer. It is a phoenix.edu secure site that my sister-in-law uses for her teaching. I cannot get on it. Only she can or the students. I hope it does not require windows to do this for her. I guess I will mention opera to them for a try. Thanks for the info.

Sincerely,

Marcia
ghysmodos

Post by ghysmodos »

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

I cannot upload files to certain sites when using firefox, e.g. hotmail or ubuntuone, everything works fine on yahoo, facebook (have to choose old style upload), libero.it.

Also if I use Opera I can upload whatever I want, wherever I want.
And!
it works fine with ubuntu 10.04, which I have installed on the same machine with the same settings.
also, if I uncheck my add-ons it changes nothing.
I had experienced this problem in Helena a few days ago, yesterday I upgraded to Isadora (kernel 2.6.32-23-generic), hoping that this would solve it (don't judge me for this), since it is working in Lucid, but again nothing....

I really like Firefox and don't want to use Opera as standard browser.

Update:

Miraculously it happened that everything works fine now again :D , though there was no relevant update....

thank you for the fine work!
josephniva

Post by josephniva »

Hi..
I can not upload any files with firefox, whether it be imageshack, photobucket, facebook, etc. I did just recently install windows 7 so I'm not sure if this is a factor. However I can upload files with IE. anyone else having this issue or any insight on the problem?
Last edited by Oscar799 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam link removed by moderator

Return to “Beginner Questions”