rkhunter... how do I view the log?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

rkhunter... how do I view the log?

Postby smudgerii on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi,

I have downloaded and run RKhunter to check which has produced a 'log' containing several warnings... but I cannot access it if I click on the file. What do I need to do to view this file?

Once I've viewed it, any recommendations of where to find out if the warnings are a serious threat?

Anyone willing to give a newbie a free lesson on how to set up a firewall ( I know it's called iptables, but after that it's errr oh errr damn )??
New to Linux, but not to drinking! Join me for a drink at the Squatters Arms. http://nob14.proboards40.com/index.cgi
smudgerii
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: rkhunter... how do I view the log?

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 pm

rkhunter is no firewall but a tool to hunt root kits
I would expect it to have a log viewer built in
iptables is there by default and is set not to allow connections from the outside (unless started from the inside)
So called firewalls in Linux like Firestarter are just config tools to iptables and if you have a ordinary desktop/laptop behind a (broadband) router/modem you are already behind a hardware firewall and don't need any more - this is one of the things that's hard to get if you're a (paranoid) Windows user (as I was some time ago :))
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby smudgerii on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Thanks....

Soory I did'nt make it clear it was really two subjects. I know RKhunter is for rootkits and I have run it in 'terminal' as it instructs, it gave me 4 warnings and listed the log as being in /var/log/RKhunter.log. I've tried opening it with the text editor but it says I do not have permission.. I need to be root, right? but how do I do that in text editor?

Iptables... got to read more, but yes I have a 'hardware' firewall..
New to Linux, but not to drinking! Join me for a drink at the Squatters Arms. http://nob14.proboards40.com/index.cgi
smudgerii
Level 1
Level 1

Postby smudgerii on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:55 pm

got it.... I also needed the name of the text editor - gedit. The name of each program is one of the problems I have at the moment, I suppose it will just take time.

By the way it shows two warnings, and two suspicious files :shock:

Time to find some help at RKhunter
smudgerii
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions