Hard drive space problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Hard drive space problem

Postby Tincup on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:11 pm

Ok, so, I don't post many problems on forums as I tend to find most of the solutions by "googling" it or just the plain old forums search option. So, that being said, I suppose this is my "cherry popping" forums post.

Here is the problem:

I was moving files from my main hard drive over to an external to free up some space so i can dual boot with Windows. After I moved my files to the external drive I deleted the files using the delete key on my keyboard and the files "disappeared" my thinking was that they were deleted and the hard drive space would be freed up. I then went to my partition editor to figure out how much drive space I wanted to use for my windows partition where it told me that I had used 84 GB and had 4.17GB free. This was very confusing as I had just moved 50GB worth of files and, following that, deleted the files. Is there someplace that mint stores these files once they are deleted, similar to a Windows "recycle bin?" If not, is there any reason why these files wouldn't have freed up the required space? Is there some way to delete these files for good and finally free up this space?

Any help is appreciated.

Please keep in mind that I am a very amateur Linux Mint user. Thanks in advance.
Tincup
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hard drive space problem

Postby pluraldave on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:27 am

Pressing the delete key moves items to the trash folder. To permanenty delete you can press <shift><delete> or right click on the file and select delete.

There are several ways you can see the trash folder:
1. Under places in the mint menu
2. In the sidebar of any open folder (ie home, view->sidebar if it isn't visible)
3. On the desktop via mintdesktop preferences.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Tincup on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:54 am

I suspected it was something silly like that. Thank you very much.
Tincup
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:38 am

Use the delete key moves them to the trash, if you right click on the file and select delete it will permanently delete it.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions