Problem adding user to a new Elyssa install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Problem adding user to a new Elyssa install

Postby John Mussington on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi,

I have recently set up a new system to dual boot win xp home sp2 and Elyssa. I have encountered a problem when I tried to add a new user. I get the following message:

(users-admin:9108): Liboobs-CRITICAL **: create_dbus_struct_from_user: assertion `(login && password && homedir && shell)' failed

(users-admin:9108): Liboobs-CRITICAL **: Not committing due to inconsistencies in the configuration, this reflects a bug in the application

I remember having a similar problem when setting up another system. That time, the problem was associated with configuring the system with a root password during installation. I would appreciate some help in figuring this problem out. Thanks in advance.

jm

System: AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core
jmerlin

[i]Mint user since 2007, on the way to a world without windows.
No turning back
![/i]
John Mussington
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem adding user to a new Elyssa install

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 am

This could have to do with a password for root
Try
Code: Select all
sudo passwd -l root

If that helps you have to set a password for root again - I suppose you have done that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby John Mussington on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:23 pm

You may be correct. How do I get to that screen which comes up with the option to set a root password? I will try this solution this evening when I get home from work.

JM
jmerlin

No turning back
![/i]
John Mussington
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm

that screen which comes up with the option to set a root password

That's in mintAssistant (in Control Center)
It is a bit thin now, but the intention was and is to add more functionality to it - just a rant :)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Problem adding user to a new Elyssa install SOLVED

Postby John Mussington on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Husse,

Your solution worked. Thank you so much for your prompt assistance.

It appears that this is an issue with Elyssa installs. As I mentioned in my initial post, it is the second time this has happened. That first time, I made the 'mistake' of choosing the option of setting a root password. Going back and choosing the option of not setting a root password cleared the issue. Considering this present situation, it could be that it makes no difference whether the root password is set or not - the problem is a bug whose effect is rectified by redoing the process. Could this be the case? Anyway, next time around I may be in a better position to get by. Thanks again.

JM
jmerlin

No turning back
![/i]
John Mussington
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:39 am

Because Ubuntu changed something (don't remember what now) that has to do with passwords we got a bug (in mintAssistant) that made root open without password - that was changed in an update and is the difference between the two versions of Elyssa final
Now a random strong password is set and all is well - until the day you want to use Recovery mode - you can't because you don't know the password. You can always start the live CD and fix the problem....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions