New to linux...help?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

New to linux...help?

Postby aronnax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 am

Hi everyone. So after using windows for years and years, I've finally made the switch to linux, and mint was my prime choice. However just to be safe, I've dual booted XP and mint incase I need windows for anything. I'm messing around a lot with linux mint and it's really nice, but I'm so lost with a lot of things and I'm feeling overwhelmed with stuff I'm totally not used to. My question really is, can anyone recommend a really good newbie guide to using linux mint? I'm seeing things like "Type this sudo app-get blah blah" and I don't really understand it well. I'm also having difficulty getting used to the new file system. So yeah, is there a really good guide out there you guys would recommend? I'm really loving Linux mint, but it's getting to be tough when there's so much I don't understand yet. Thanks in advance!
aronnax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New to linux...help?

Postby msuggs on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 am

First of all, welcome to Mint arronax :) I wouldn't worry to much that everything seems a bit tough at the moment. Linux is quite different to windows and takes time, like anything new, to learn. My best piece of advice would be to not expect Linux to do things the Windows way. This I think is the single biggest point of frustration for new users who can't come to grips with Linux. Linux does things it's way and taking the time to learn how it all works is worth the effort in the long run.

The Mint wiki has some good how to's and general info regarding Linux Mint. This may be a good place to start :)
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby m_l on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:21 am

Welcome to Linux :)

I like these sites http://www.tuxfiles.org/ and http://www.yolinux.com/ They are not specific to
Linux Mint, but will help you with basic understanding of Linux. Take a look at http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/HOWTOs for
Linux Mint specific. I would learn some basic Linux stuff first and then move on to specific Linux Mint stuff.

Since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu take a look at this also https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

Hope this gets you started and enjoy your new journey :)
m_l
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Katzedecimal on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:19 am

Ubuntu books are generally written with the newbie in mind, so tend to use plain language and to explain clearly what each command does. I've used a few Ubuntu books in my Linux learning. Although Mint is forked off of Ubuntu and (mostly) compatible with it, there are some differences, mainly in the menus, the MintTools, the codecs and (an important difference) in the method of updating the OS. Once you get to know your chassis and dashboard, you can pop the hood (ie open a terminal) and start learning about the engine - just about any Linux book can help you learn how and why the OS works the way it does. I use the Linux Bible for meatier learning. Best part is, my computer is fun again, instead of frustrating :lol:
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aronnax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.
aronnax
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions