Flickering Screensavers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Flickering Screensavers

Postby aronnax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Hey everyone. Every screensaver I enable flickers pretty bad when it goes on. I've installed my ATI drivers and nothing's really changed, it still flickers really bad. What can I do to get rid of the flickering? If you need any system specs or stuff like that, let me know since I don't really know linux well enough to find that stuff yet. Thanks in advance!
aronnax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Flickering Screensavers

Postby Insane1 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:35 am

As someone who has an ATI x1400 card...I can almost guarantee you your problem stems from Compiz.
To check if compiz is the problem, go to the mintmenu > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects
And set the level to "none". As of right now the ATI drivers for Linux available aren't QUITE as up-to-par with Nvidias, and there are some problems that can arise if Compiz is enabled. These including OpenGL applications, games, screensavers flickering.

To boot, the drivers that Ubuntu and Linux mint currently have are outdated (with luck an update rolls around soon enough) or in some cases just broken.
Current drivers available straight from ATI: 8.9 (Haven't been able to review. I'm a tad lazy to try their installer. ^.^;)
Drivers in "Hardware Drivers": 8.3 (Stable driver, but lacks XV video output. Might want to use OpenGL output with movie players that support it)
Drivers in Envy: 8.6 (I do NOT recommend this driver for now.... The driver is completely broken with cards such as the mobility x300 and x1000 series cards. (at least my x1400, and I have heard of, and unfortunately experienced, things such as complete corruption of the screen display until reboot when trying to use a game through wine (game previously worked), and getting stuck with full screen youtube (Well...more like an overlay that's jammed on than youtube being stuck enlarged. You can recover from this problem, but you need to guess where the firefox window is and close it)))
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Flickering Screensavers

Postby aronnax on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:50 am

Insane thank you so much. That did the trick, screensavers no longer flicker! Thanks for the info by the way, great help.
aronnax
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions