nvidia troubles

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

nvidia troubles

Postby ianhobson on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 am

Hi all,

I've just installed Elyssa 5 and I am stuck in 800*600. The install went without incident, and I had two lots of updating to get the latest versions down.

The box is an old Athlon 2600+ with a Geo Force 5500 graphics card. It was working fine, so I don't suspect a hardware problem.

I've enabled the proprietary driver for Nvidia. After a lot of messing about, it finally was able to download it - but I can't change the screen resolution from 800*600 (except to worse).

I've run EnvyNG and that decided to install different drivers. After a lot of downloading and installing, and a reboot, I was still unable to change the screen resolution. No obvious error messages though.

So I went to search the forums - and the search rejected every word in NVIDIA DRIVER INSTALL PROBLEM as being too common! :evil:

I am rather a newbie regarding Linux, and Mint, so I suspect I've forgotten to do something simple. I just don't know what. Help anyone?

Thanks

Ian
ianhobson
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: nvidia troubles

Postby y2julio on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=33142
Check that thread out. Maybe it can point you in the right direction.
y2julio
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions