Restoring file deleted from floppy

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Restoring file deleted from floppy

Postby Eric Weir on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:51 pm

I won't go into details, but somehow in the process of copying a file from a floppy to a hard drive I ended up with an empty file on the hard drive and no file on the floppy.

Is there a way I can restore the file the way I could with Norton Utilities on Windows? [The floppy is Windows formatted.]

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Restoring file deleted from floppy

Postby Husse on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:17 am

Try testdisk
It includes photorec which is able to retrieve all kinds of files that are more or less deleted
And unless absolutely necessary don't use floppies - really bad media
I don't think you find it in the software portal, but you can use Synaptic to install it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Restoring file deleted from floppy

Postby Eric Weir on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:15 pm

Husse wrote:Try testdisk
It includes photorec which is able to retrieve all kinds of files that are more or less deleted
And unless absolutely necessary don't use floppies - really bad media

Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't normally use floppys, but I had to do some research in a library where at one time that was the only way to save your results. Now you can use a flashdrive, so I bought my first one after encountering this problem.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions