Update Manager not prompting for password - Mint17 MATE xrdp

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InvisibleAgent

Update Manager not prompting for password - Mint17 MATE xrdp

Post by InvisibleAgent »

Hi all,

I'm running Mint17 64-bit MATE over xrdp to Windows 7 over RDP, and Update Manager no longer prompts me for my root password when I click "Install Updates" - the windows just closes. I don't recall any changes that caused this to happen (and it did work previously). Synaptic prompts for a password as expected, as does Software Manager, and apt-get works as expected, just frustratingly Update Manager doesn't. It correctly displays the (i) when there are updates, gives me a (check) mark when I manually apt-get install/apt-get upgrade, and Refresh works as expected.

The Update Manager correctly prompts me for my root password when I login to the box directly, it only fails to prompt when I login via xrdp.

Looking in the information window, I see the following:

Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process ('/dev/tty'): No such device or address
++ Return code: 127
++ Install finished
++ Starting refresh
++ Found 82 recommended software updates
++ Refresh finished

I've tried several things all to no avail, including:

- apt-get update / apt-get upgrade
- apt-get dist-upgrade
- forcing reinstall of the Update Manager package through Synaptic

Machine details: CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-4250U CPU, Kernel~3.13.0-24-generic x86_64

This feels like a configuration file got changed somewhere, but I've been unable to figure it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

InvisibleAgent
Last edited by SMG on Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked topic to prevent its resurrection because LM17 is no longer supported.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Update Manager not prompting for password - Mint17 MATE

Post by Spearmint2 »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -s mintupdate; aptitude show mintupdate;
copy paste into terminal and run. Will show the installed version and the latest available.

Also run this in terminal and see if the update opens OK.

mintupdate
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
InvisibleAgent

Post by InvisibleAgent »

Thanks Spearmint2! Here's the output:

mintupdate is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Package: mintupdate
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4.6.7
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Clement Lefebvre <root@linuxmint.com>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 825 k
Depends: python (>= 2.4), python (< 3), python-gtk2, python-glade2, synaptic,
         mint-common, mint-mirrors
Conflicts: mintupdate-gnome, mintupdate-gnome, mintupdate-kde, mintupdate-kde,
           mintupdate-xfce, mintupdate-xfce
Replaces: mintupdate-gnome, mintupdate-gnome, mintupdate-kde, mintupdate-kde,
          mintupdate-xfce, mintupdate-xfce
Running 'mintupdate' from the command line correctly launches the Update Manager (as does clicking on its icon in the system tray).

InvisibleAgent
Spearmint2 wrote:

sudo apt-get install -s mintupdate; aptitude show mintupdate;
copy paste into terminal and run. Will show the installed version and the latest available.

Also run this in terminal and see if the update opens OK.

mintupdate
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

OK, then change the command line on the launcher, or make a new launcher and point to it for one of the programs at startup.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

InvisibleAgent wrote: Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process ('/dev/tty'): No such device or address
Looks familiar - check this thread.
InvisibleAgent

Post by InvisibleAgent »

Monsta wrote:
InvisibleAgent wrote: Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process ('/dev/tty'): No such device or address
Looks familiar - check this thread.
Aha! That seems to be what I was hunting for. Thank you Monsta, I'll see if that info helps me fix my issue and report back.
dreyT

Post by dreyT »

Hello. Have same problem as TS:
Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process ('/dev/tty'): No such device or address
Neighbour topic didn't solve issue for me:
I don't have polkit agent at all (I have a disabled link to it in startup apps though).
Any help?

Return to “Beginner Questions”