Recovering deleted OSX partitions with TestDisk?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HeatedFreeze

Recovering deleted OSX partitions with TestDisk?

Post by HeatedFreeze »

Hey guys,

I made a huge mistake. I think anyway.Was going to install Mint on my Macbook and I got trigger happy and hit continue on the install screen. Now i didn't realize what was selected but if i had to guess it was format and remove other OS. At the timezone screen I backed out and restarted. Upon holding down Alt-option there is no longer the OSX partition or the recovery. Now after searching far and wide I feel on google and reddit I am stuck.

I am currently using Photorec to pull anything that is still possible to save. On TestDisk I got all the way to this part and don't know what to do next. It shows the two HFS+ partitions so am I able to recover them? Even though the disk according to Mint is empty except 73mb and ext4. I am an idiot and was planning on backing up my laptop's files to my dekstop but well I really messed up. I have Mint on my pc and love it as someone who is still learning linux. Here is the picture of TestDisk any help is really appreciated. https://imgur.com/a/Sh9X3#0

Sorry I couldn't get this image embedded.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Recovering deleted OSX partitions with TestDisk?

Post by Kalyk »

Hello and welcome to this forum!!
Sorry the reason is not so positive.
After you have had the install-screen Mint alters your partitions to get to the situation it needs to install.
I don't have Apple-hardware so I'm probably not the best to answer your question.
But first: it looks like you can recover your partitions!!
There are a lot of tutorials on how to use testdisk, look at this one:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
Possibly your efi-information is invalid afterwards, suppose there are tutorials on how to fix this too.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Recovering deleted OSX partitions with TestDisk?

Post by Reorx »

I also am not familiar with Mac systems or TestDisk but >>>

From your screen shot it looks as though the partitions are still intact (notice the P not a D in the left column)...
TD.png
Can you please post a screen shot of Gparted looking at your HD - thanx
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”