Problem removing a program from Main Menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Problem removing a program from Main Menu

Postby coldfire204 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:29 am

Hello,
I just started using Mint, after being on Ubuntu for a couple months and getting the hang of Linux. Mint is definitely interesting, but there are a few things that don't quite function like they do in Ubuntu, one thing being the fact that if you remove a program (I used dpkg -r wine to remove WINE) the application will still show up in the Main Menu. (I'm on Elyssa Mint, Gnome version, if that helps.) I tried right clicking on the individual wine subprograms to uninstall them, but even though it says they are uninstalling them, they are still there, and you can still click on them and get into them lol. Anyways, I went into Control Center and tried removing them from the Main Menu section there, still the same thing happens.

Just to be thorough I tried doing make uninstall too, no luck with that either.

When I uninstalled WINE in ubuntu hardy, it would automatically remove anything in the Ubuntu main menu for me.. how do I accomplish that in Mint?

(I'm having to uninstall WINE because I have to reinstall from the source and patch a couple files to get a game to run and want to make sure everything is gone before I start reinstalling.)

Thanks!
coldfire204
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem removing a program from Main Menu

Postby coldfire204 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:00 am

Haha, nevermind, I just restarted the system and WINE's outta the main menu >_>, just for future reference though:

dpkg -r will completely remove any program won't it?
coldfire204
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem removing a program from Main Menu

Postby risoknop on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:55 am

Try using:

Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get --purge remove name-of-program

I use that most of the time to remove apps.
risoknop
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions