Creating An Installation Disc Via ISO Image

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tnt2

Creating An Installation Disc Via ISO Image

Post by tnt2 »

There are a few different parts to my question.
First I'm trying to create an installation disc for the program "gparted".
Im trying to do this by burning a downloaded ISO image to a CD-R disc. My primary computer has a DVD writer. Do I specifically need a CD writer to burn the image porperly to a CD?
Also, is this the best way to create an installation disc for this program?
I have 2 different ISO images.

I am running a laptop on Linux Mint Cinnamon v13, and I have used Synaptic Package Manager to download the packages gparted and libparted0debian1. I used the program APTonCD to convert these two packages to an ISO file.

I also downloaded a 191+mb ISO image which is supposedly used to create an installation disc for the Gparted program.

Since I am burning these images to non-rewritable discs (CD-RW seems to have gone out of production) I am trying to make sure I get it right. Would either of these two ISO files be more likely to succeed? And am I going about it the right way? I am on dial-up internet so I can't download the program straight to the PC that needs it.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Creating An Installation Disc Via ISO Image

Post by Flemur »

First I'm trying to create an installation disc for the program "gparted".

Why? To install gparted on a linux system, or to make a bootable CD/DVD 5than can run gparted ?

If the former, why not install it with "software/package manager", apt, or synaptic?

If the latter, here's the iso for a bootable gparted CD:
http://gparted.org/livecd.php

I also downloaded a 191+mb ISO image which is supposedly used to create an installation disc for the Gparted program.

Named this: gparted-live-0.19.1-1-i486.iso ?

Would either of these two ISO files be more likely to succeed?

I don't think you said what the other ISO file was.

At any rate, use the LiveCD ISO file (if that's what you want), open a file browser, rt-click on the ISO file, open it with whatever burner shows up, write it to CD/DVD. It should be bootable.

Edit:
I am on dial-up internet so I can't download the program straight to the PC that needs it.

If you just want to install gparted on a computer running linux but without internet, download and copy the .deb file(s) - along with the required ones the other computer might not have.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If you have a DVD burner, it will also do CD's.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

''And am I going about it the right way?'' Sort of, in the right area anyway.

The ISO image gparted-live is a whole system for running the computer without needing the hard drive. You partition or repair a hard disk and then leave it alone. Every Live-CD or Live-DVD distribution includes gparted or something that does the same job; Mint if you use DVD-R or Linux-Lite if you use CD-R.

DEB packages, like ''gparted_0.16.2-1_i386.deb'' are for fitting a particular version of a program into a running system. Lots of installers explicitly remove gparted from the finished system; they don't want users playing with it. So while you can install it as an expert-tool, and copy it to other computers, you probably shouldn't.

DVD-Drives use red light and CD-Drives use infra-red light, so technically writing a CD-R does use different hardware. Fortunately DVD-Drives always include a CD laser, sharing the same optics, so from the outside it can read/write either.

CD-RW went the same way as Floppy Disks. For persistent read-mostly storage, flash memory is better and cheaper---fifty pence per GB in the UK.
ace_N_kelly

Post by ace_N_kelly »

I think that gparted already there on all Linux mint iso...
So just boot on "test mode" and run gparted :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”