LM17C64 - new install with odd display problem - pls help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

LM17C64 - new install with odd display problem - pls help

Post by Reorx »

I just did my first GPT install using Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. The display wasn't quite right so I opened "System Settings" and then "Display" and made a change... my resulting desktop looks like this >>>
Visible_desktop.png
The problem is that a screen shot of my desktop looks like this>>>
Screenshot.png
I'd like to open System Settings > Display to try to fix this problem however, if you look at the bottom of the second image, you will see my task bar!!! but I can't see it on my screen so it is functional inaccessible...

I CAN open a terminal that I can see. Is there a terminal command that will get me access to System Settings or Display? OR is there a hot key combination for this?

Thanx in advance...

- R -
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LM17C64 - new install with odd display problem - pls hel

Post by Reorx »

OK, did some research and found >>>

Code: Select all

cinnamon-control-center
will open a window that will allow me to edit the display settings... but now I have another problem...

Ii was able to get the part of my display with the task bar on the top half of the display so I can see it on the screen but I still have the larger display on the bottom half of the screen shot... any ideas how to fix this???

My screen shot now looks like this>>>
ss1.png
My "Display" configuration screen looks like this>>>
ss2.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I've never used that application so I'm not sure where the settings are stored, but if you were to manipulate the resolution with xrandr, you would setup a ~/.xprofile file. I would check if one was created.

Also when I open the mate-display-properties application it's accessing ~/.config/dconf/user so I'm assuming that's where the settings are going to be saved if you don't have an ~/.xprofile

Check what xrandr says.

xrandr -q
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

xrandr -q >>>
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 1536, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected primary 1366x768+0+768 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
1366x768 60.0*+ 39.9
1360x768 59.8 60.0
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3 56.2
640x480 59.9
VGA1 connected 1024x768+342+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 60.0*
800x600 60.3 56.2
848x480 60.0
640x480 59.9
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
There is no ~/.xprofile file.

There is an ~/.xsession-errors file and it looks like this >>>
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:admini being added to access control list
Script for none started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
Script for none started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/1000/keyring-oYW2a7
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/keyring-oYW2a7/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/keyring-oYW2a7/ssh

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1947): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1947): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:1947): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-VGA1: unable to get EDID for output
Window manager warning: Log level 16: g_object_set_valist: object class 'ClutterSettings' has no property named 'window-scaling-factor'
JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon

** (nm-applet:2177): CRITICAL **: nm_secret_agent_register: assertion 'priv->registered == FALSE' failed
nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon

** (nemo:2176): WARNING **: Can not calculate _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS

** (nemo:2176): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nemo:2176): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-in".
Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-out".
JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Fri Jul 25 2014 00:06:31 GMT-0400 (EDT)

(cinnamon:2169): St-CRITICAL **: st_widget_get_theme_node called on the widget [0x3cdc410 StBoxLayout.menu-selected-app-box] which is not in the stage.
JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)

JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active

(gnome-terminal:2258): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_get: the format string may not contain '&' (key 'monospace-font-name' from schema 'org.gnome.desktop.interface'). This call will probably stop working with a future version of glib.

(mintUpdate.py:2291): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.

(mintUpdate.py:2291): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.

Image Image Image
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Try setting up a new user, then login as the new guy and see if the display miraculously straightens-out.

It looks like your monitor is not supplying EDID information.

It looks like nemo is trying to tell you something too :?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I tried adding another user before reading your post... does exactly the same thing! :(

It appears as though something thinks that there are 2 monitors - 1 laptop and 1 external...

Another odd characteristic > I was going to try a reinstall but now I can't get the machine to boot to the USB stick that I used for the first install!?!?!? BIOS still has secure boot off and legacy on...

Image Image Image
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

xrandr is showing both monitors are connected :?

Try

xrandr --output VGA1 --off --output eDP1 --auto
Since this is a new system, I would contact their support desk and inquire about it.

Just out of curiosity

inxi -Fx
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

reorx@freedom-14 ~ $ inxi -Fx
System: Host: freedom-14 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana

Machine: Mobo: Dell model: 00FTTX version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A00 date: 04/11/2014

CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron CPU N2830 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8667
Clock Speeds: 1: 1494.00 MHz 2: 1660.00 MHz

Graphics: Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7 bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Audio: Card: Intel ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic

Network: Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 90:48:9a:48:cb:6b

Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (0.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST500LT012 size: 500.1GB

Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 4.3G (23%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 2.0G used: 46M (3%) fs: ext4
ID: /home size: 72G used: 106M (1%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 5.37GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap

RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present

Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A

Info: Processes: 152 Uptime: 1:07 Memory: 530.3/3840.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
reorx@freedom-14 ~ $

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

UPDATE:

I wiped the entire install and did a fresh EFI/GPT (secure boot off) install from scratch. A screen shot of the desktop on istallation looked like this >>>
Aftr_fresh_install.png
The Display GUI looked like this >>>
2.png
Then I did the initial update (288MB) and rebooted... The desktop looked "right" but the screen shot like this >>>
3.png
After >xrandr --output VGA1 --off --output eDP1 --auto<, the screen looked "normal" as did the screen shot >>

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

4.png
This change is only temporary though... as soon as you reboot, it's gone and the command has to be re-entered...

Plans at this point are to:
1) Read the manuals that I D/L about this laptop
2) Call Dell support next week if problem persists
3) Follow this thread hoping for a minor miracle...

Thank you for your assistance WharfRat :mrgreen: Let me know if you come up with anything else...

Image Image Image
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

somewhere the driver is not correct, xandr can only display or correct what it knows
try one of the intel drivers
also bios A00, was this a preproduction unit?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Patrick;

Thank you for your comments/ideas...
PatH57 wrote:somewhere the driver is not correct, xandr can only display or correct what it knows
try one of the intel drivers
I thought that all the intel drivers were included in the kernel?...
PatH57 wrote:also bios A00, was this a preproduction unit?
This is a brand new Dell Inspiron 3531 (15.6" - 1366x768) that I picked up (direct from Dell) about 2 weeks ago. (LINK - http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-35 ... fncwc3001b) It came with Win8.1. I got it to put Mint 17 on (I couldn't pass up the $249 price - this is the cheapest computer I have ever owned!)... I turned off Secure Boot, booted my Mint 17 Live USB and removed all partitions on the HD and started from scratch to install Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. This was my first EFI/GPT installation so it was a learning experience. In hind sight, I probably should have read up on the process (but didn't)... I dove in and fumbled my way through it... I had 1 or 2 false starts but once I figured it out, the installation was pretty straight forward. Other that this one glitch, everything is working pretty well. The performance is surprisingly good.

I opened Driver Manager and it told me that no proprietary drivers were in use and made no suggestions...
DM.png
Just for fun, this is the partitioning scheme for the install - GPT HDs sure do make partitioning easy >>>
Gparted_efi.png

Image Image Image
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Reorx wrote:This change is only temporary though... as soon as you reboot, it's gone and the command has to be re-entered...
Throw that line into ~/.xprofile until you get it straightened out.
Reorx wrote:I thought that all the intel drivers were included in the kernel?...
Google "intel drivers ppa"

Someone posted an intel driver ppa site that solved a poster's intel graphics problem, but I can't locate it. It might have been Spearment2, but I'm not sure :?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

WharfRat wrote:Throw that line into ~/.xprofile until you get it straightened out.
I mentioned above - I have no ~/.xprofile file... maybe that's part of the problem...
WharfRat wrote:Google "intel drivers ppa"

Someone posted an intel driver ppa site that solved a poster's intel graphics problem, but I can't locate it. It might have been Spearment2, but I'm not sure :?
A preliminary search came up with an Intel Graphics Installer for Linux (https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... .0.5-linux) - I though I had the winning lottery ticket...
Intl1.png
...and then I clicked the "Begin" button...
Intl3.png
intl2.png
I'm still looking...

Image Image Image
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

check through kern.log if you see error messages.
If yes you will need a newer kernel
could you post back?

uname -a
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I mentioned above - I have no ~/.xprofile file... maybe that's part of the problem...
Normally you would not have an .xprofile.

You either have the very latest graphics driver that's not yet fully supported with mints kernel or there is some kind of problem with the mb.

You should check kernel.org's patch-3.14.13 for for kernel 3.15.6. There seems to be a lot of intel changes.

drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c 75 + 15 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h 2 + 0 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c 2 + 2 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem_execbuffer.c 32 + 22 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem_stolen.c 44 + 0 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_irq.c 14 + 4 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_reg.h 3 + 0 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_trace.h 3 + 1 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_crt.c 9 + 0 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c 63 + 19 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_dp.c 22 + 1 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_drv.h 10 + 1 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_dsi.c 1 + 0 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_dvo.c 1 + 0 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_hdmi.c 6 + 4 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_lvds.c 1 + 0 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_panel.c 10 + 7 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_pm.c 26 + 1 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_sdvo.c 4 + 1 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_tv.c 8 + 2 - 0 !
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_uncore.c 2 + 0 - 0 !

You can dl and compile 3.15.6. I had to do this on one of my computers for the wireless adapter. It was spitting out errors with 3.13.0-24. I had to go back quite a ways to get it to work. I'll have to check, but I reverted to 3.2 because I knew that one worked with an older version of LMDE.

Good luck :wink:
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Reorx wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Throw that line into ~/.xprofile until you get it straightened out.
WharfRat wrote:Google "intel drivers ppa"

A preliminary search came up with an Intel Graphics Installer for Linux (https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... .0.5-linux) - I though I had the winning lottery ticket...
Intl1.png
...and then I clicked the "Begin" button...
Intl3.png
intl2.png
I'm still looking...
Easy fix to that little issue

echo "deb https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/14.04/main trusty main #Intel Graphics drivers" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/intellinuxgraphics.list
need to add the keys for the intel repo

wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg -O - | sudo apt-key add -

wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg-2 -O - | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update
At this point mintupdate should be able to get the drivers

But if you want to use the Intel program you need to

sudo gedit /etc/lsb-release
and make it look like this

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04 LTS"

sudo intel-linux-graphics-installer
You don't need to change the /etc/lsb-release file back as it will be redone on reboot
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Jeremy;

Thank you for the ideas... I found your second recommendation in the intel website's forum section late last night and tried it... and it looked as though it worked... >>>
Intel1.png
Intel2.png
Intel3.png
...however the problem still persists... :(

Image Image Image
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

try a newer kernel http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=159593
SUCCESS!!!

Apparently all it needed was the right kernel with the right bug fixes. I may at some point investigate further as to what the pertinent fixes are... but anyhow, here's what I did:

1. Start here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
2. I used "drm-intel-next/2013-11-05-saucy". (Initially I tried the latest "trusty" kernel, but my laptop turned out to be allergic to it. 30 seconds after boot the fan would go haywire for a few seconds and the system would power off. :shock: )
3. Download and install, in order, "linux-headers...all.deb", "linux-headers...amd64.deb", and "linux-image...amd64.deb".
4. Reboot! Choose 3.12.0-997 from Grub menu. Voila.

I also had to fiddle around to get the backlight working properly. It was constantly set at 100% and ignoring my efforts to change it. After a few minutes of research, whaddayaknow... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/Backlight
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

PatH57 wrote:check through kern.log if you see error messages.
If yes you will need a newer kernel
could you post back?

uname -a
uname -a returns >>>
Linux freedom-14 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am not experienced at reading kernel logs but nothing jumped off the page... there were a few lines that got my attention although I don't know exactly how to interpret them >>>

1) Jul 27 10:24:10 freedom-14 kernel: [ 3.339233] fb: conflicting fb hw usage inteldrmfb vs EFI VGA - removing generic driver

2) Jul 27 10:24:10 freedom-14 kernel: [ 3.598828] fbcon: inteldrmfb (fb0) is primary device

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”