Exfat and related issues on usb drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AnakSunAmun

Exfat and related issues on usb drive

Post by AnakSunAmun »

I'm still googling about it and i've searched something similar on this forum with no luck, or doesn't seem to me.
I've bought a WD usb drive and when I plug it appears to be 20 GB instead of 1 TB. Checked with a Win7 pc appears to have an exfat filesystem.
I've searched about it and found it isn't a shareable FS, then I try to give it a new FS like ntfs. Now begins problems because in LMDE still reconize only 20 GB, in Win7 I begin to format it but nothing really happens and after a while win's format tool return available.
In Gnome disk utility it show me 20 GB disk but formatting or zeroing doesn't solve.
With dd appear an input output problem at 29586505+0 record in 29586504+0 record out and stops at 15GB.
Badblocks show me 4 problems : 14793252 14793253 14793254 14793255.
With Fsck I've found there are bad magic numbers in super-blocks. I try to set b option but without luck.
Testdisk show me a 20gb disk with no partition found, even in deeper search.
Could anyone give me some hints? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Exfat and related issues on usb drive

Post by Spearmint2 »

Probably the WD software for the password protection and it's the first partition and because the rest of the drive is protected, that's all you see, the first part.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

That's make sense. Thanks Spearmint2. How can I get rid of this protection? I mean I just want to use all its space not only 20gb. Am I asking too much? :(
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I'd get all my stuff off it by using the windows computer first, then remove the password program that's on it, make it like a clean internal drive. GParted might do that, but if not then certainly "dd" command will.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

''then certainly "dd" command will'' Not if the ATA security is involved, dd won't be allowed to address beyond the 20GB it admits to, the drive will just refuse to access it. This really needs advice from someone who has actually dealt with a locked drive [not me sorry].

It might be damaged, of course; i/o error is not trivial. WD provide a test program for their drives, worth a try while you are waiting.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Maybe low level software direct from WD will let him deal with the problem. However, if "dd" won't do it.....

Here's what he's running into. Looks like low level won't help for this.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... e-or-solid

Important: If the hard drive includes a Western Digital Virtual CD-Rom (VCD) drive, this partition will not be removed by performing a low-level format on the drive.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/? ... ilitiesmac

Maybe a solution;
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/passport-vcd.html

And this definitely works!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DluB7YQh_DY
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

hi,

could you try gparted and send a screenshot?
a lot of these drives have some protection scheme, but you should still be able to wipe the drive clean, if this is what you want.
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

Sorry guys. I forgot to mention that in Win7 it shows 1TB of space when I tried, now I don't know, probably 20gb or a mess. Yes it shows 1Tb on Win and 20gb on LMDE.
Mute Ant : I download a WD formatting tools for external drive, always for Win puah, and give it a try when I put my hands again on a win pc. Thanks
Spearmint2: It could have a VCD, despite it doesn't have software in it or programs that starts on plugging. We'll see. Thanks for the links, now I have one or two shots to try. Don't mind but I prefer to wait a little and try different solutions before proceeding Miley's style ;-P
PatH57: Yes I tried Gparted. I tried to format, restore data and create new partition table but.. I attach a screenshot below.

I bring you all my progress with your solutions and it's very possible that even if I tried many ways (dd, fdisk, so on) I missed options on them that can resolve, maybe, so I'm open to every test or suggestion you kindly give me. Thanks.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

yes it is protected and best is to use the tool from WD to wipe it.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

HPA (host protected area) is an ATA hardware feature used to limit apparent capacity and sometimes to hide data to any OS. It seems to be enabled. What gives the following command ?
sudo hdparm -N /dev/sdk
On the currrent kernels hdparm can handle this; no need to use any proprietary software.
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

PatH57 : I've tried tools you and Spearmint2 suggest but unfortunately they need a formatted disk and a letter (like j: ) and can't overcome that so I don't figure it out on how make my usb hd brand new with them.
eanfrid : sudo hdparm -N /dev/sdk return me this :
/dev/sdk:
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: f0 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 aa 55 40 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: f0 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 aa 55 40 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
max sectors = 168296705/1(2?), HPA setting seems invalid (buggy kernel device driver?)
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

Mute ant : I haven't found a test program on WD site. "Support - downloads - element - element portable" give me two format tools and a "data lifeguard diagnostic".
I don't try last one yet but I report results as soon as I can.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

EDIT;
This was a mispost, supposed to go to another thread about a USB flashdrive.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

with gparted click on device then create partition table and see what happens.
What was the filesystem before on it?
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

eanfrid: since i'm not sure of doing well I repeat commad you suggest me and now I'm sure of it :

/dev/sdf:
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
max sectors = 0/1, HPA is enabled
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

Spearmint2: I download f3 and watch the video so a question came up to me. Since LMDE see a 20gb disk, every software tried for now see and operate on a 20 gb disk then I guess I have to found something that allow me to get phisical instead of logical to regain a 1tb disk. Am I misunderstanding?
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

PatH57 : Now it's unallocated and unmounted. If I choose it and click on "device - create partition table" gparted warn me that all data on the disk will be erased, then start scan for partitions but nothing happen.
I format it to fat32 and repeat all. It returns unallocated. I feel dumb but I'm only trying not to miss something, that's way I maybe do silly passages.
Initially the filesystem was exfat.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

ok it's exfat
Install exfat-utils and exfat-fuse packages from the official repos:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install exfat-utils exfat-fuse
Reboot your computer:

if you use gparted you should be able to redo the partiton table and see all the space available.
if it doesn't work you may have to attach it to a windows machine and use WD smartware
AnakSunAmun

Post by AnakSunAmun »

Spearmint2 wrote:EDIT;
This was a mispost, supposed to go to another thread about a USB flashdrive.
Probably. If some moderator want to change position at this thread I'm happy about it since I don't want to mess up things. I was only trying to specify that all issues I'm encountering have to do with exfat since if it wasn't used I'm not here to bother all, I guess. ;-)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

For your problem I see only 2 possible solutions.

1) download the WD software from their site and reinstall it on the drive. You can then turn off the VCD and maybe then use it in Linux.

2) Use Dedoimedo's instructions on how to remove the VCD (virtual CD) at the front of the drive and then set it up like a standard hard drive.

Return to “Beginner Questions”