Mobile broadband ok in Mint 16 but not in Mint 17

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adf2000

Mobile broadband ok in Mint 16 but not in Mint 17

Post by adf2000 »

Hello, I use a USB dongle to connect to the internet through a mobile broadband connection. In Linux Mint 16 Petra everything is working fine, but in Linux Mint 17 Qiana, while the connection is reported active, Firefox doesn't load any webpage and the ping command fails too. What should I do? Thank you a lot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Mobile broadband ok in Mint 16 but not in Mint 17

Post by gtsfer »

Post back (copy/paste) the output of these two commands in Terminal and let's see what you have going on there. (you can just copy/paste these commands too)

Code: Select all

inxi -n
sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Missing or misconfigured DNS-settings. Run command nm-tool and tell the DNS-settings.
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

I just run Mint 17 now and the connection is unexpectedly working. Thank you anyway. :)
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

Actually the story is a bit different. I found that both when I run Mint 17 via USB (live image) and when I run it installed from the hard drive, Firefox started browsing regularly only after I executed "inxi" and "mintWifi.py". I hope I won't have to do this every time...? I'll found it out on the next reboot. Thank you.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

I think you misinterpreted what I meant a little bit, but that's ok. I wanted you to post back here what was shown when you ran those commands.

So we could, you know, maybe look at it and start to help figure out what might be wrong. :)
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

gtsfer wrote:I think you misinterpreted what I meant a little bit, but that's ok.
No, I got it right, but I thought it was not useful anymore. But I've just seen that after a reboot the behaviour is the same: Firefox starts browsing only after the two commands (I didn't tested if after inix or after mintWifi.py). Here's the output:

(deleted)
Last edited by adf2000 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

adf2000 wrote:
gtsfer wrote:I think you misinterpreted what I meant a little bit, but that's ok.
No, I got it right, but I thought it was not useful anymore. But I've just seen that after a reboot the behaviour is the same: Firefox starts browsing only after the two commands (I didn't tested if after inix or after mintWifi.py). Here's the output (the connection is on wwan0):

(deleted)
Last edited by adf2000 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

My mistake, sorry. You mean it works after you run the nm-tool command or the two you just gave the output back for? The "inxi" and the "mintWifi" commands?

So it works ok now as long as you do "whichever" it was after bootup? If that's good enough for you I can live with that. (if I get your meaning right this time). :)
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

gtsfer wrote:You mean it works after you run
I turned off the pc now and it's the same: Firefox starts browsing only after "sudo ... mintWifi.py". Rather boring to do that every time, also considering that in Mint 16 everything worked fine... Any suggestion? Thank you.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

as long as you run in a live session this will happen, at each reboot the settings are back to default and the system has to rediscover your network.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

PatH57 wrote:as long as you run in a live session this will happen, at each reboot the settings are back to default and the system has to rediscover your network.

????????? :shock:

This is not you case at all is it? You have LM 17 installed on your system, right? A live boot session sure shouldn't do this anyway if it starts up with a working driver installed. Please confirm so we can eliminate the non-sequitur. Yeah, you shouldn't have to do "mintWifi" every time you start up.

Let us know, we'll try and debug it. It sounds a little like network manager is not starting on boot-up or something similar.
Last edited by gtsfer on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

if it is installed then try to disable your wifi (seems not connected anyway) so firefox will use the broadband connection by default or change the network settings for firefox (firefox preferences advanced network and proxy to be set to auto detect).
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

gtsfer wrote:You have LM 17 installed on your system, right?
Yes, I'm using the installed version now.
PatH57 wrote:if it is installed then try to disable your wifi [...] or change the network settings for firefox
Done, nothing changed. Again, both Firefox and ping command start working after I run mintWifi.py...
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

strange but not impossible, broadband has a higher ping and dns resolution process then dsl or adsl.

Could you please use this? open terminal and copy paste this:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && \chmod +x wireless_script && \./wireless_script

It will download a script and create a file named wireless-info.txt or wireless-info.tar.gz in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless or broadband at the time. The MAC address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security. Paste contents of the wireless-info.txt or wireless-info.tar.gz file at http://pastebin.ubuntu.com or alternatively http://pastebin.com/ then post the link here in your question.
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

PatH57 wrote:post the link here in your question.
http://pastebin.com/pNwtbKWV
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

everything looks fine (wifi disabled, wwan enabled and connected)

only thing left to check are
1) make sure it is enabled at start (default is to manually enable it as not all providers have flat fees)
Mobile Broadband.png
2) run namebench (package manager) to check that the best DNS are used.
https://code.google.com/p/namebench/wiki/FAQ
adf2000

Post by adf2000 »

PatH57 wrote:1) make sure it is enabled at start
I can't, since my connection is not of the flat-fee kind.
2) run namebench (package manager) to check that the best DNS are used.
I'll try, but I can't understand why on Mint 16 I have no problems. Maybe I should downgrade...
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Be patient with Pat's instructions and let him try to sort you out. If you downgrade you'd have to go LM13 as 16 is no longer supported. EOL means no more updates and can't install new packages, the repositories are off line (at least some of them are).
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

let's look at driver level and what this stick really is:

lsusb

lspci

Return to “Beginner Questions”