[SOLVED] Intermittent Internet

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Intermittent Internet

Postby mintoreo on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

Hi all,
I've seen similar problems, but not quite this one. I've always had trouble connecting to certain wireless connections, but never had a problem at home (wireless) or at school (wired). A few weeks ago, I wasn't able to get internet access at any of my local coffee shops, despite a solid network connection (and phone was connecting no problem). Then the same thing started happening intermittently at home, and now at school, even with a hardwired connection. I try fussing around with various settings, nothing seems to work, except waiting and it eventually will connect. Could this be a hardware issue, or something wearing out? I'm worried that this appears to be increasing in frequency. My connection is working fine *right now* but I'm not sure what to check next time it goes out. Any ideas?

Running Mint 13 Maya, on a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by mintoreo on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mintoreo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Intermittent Internet

Postby administrollaattori on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:09 pm

administrollaattori
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Spearmint2 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Did you switch wifi devices? Maybe from a b, g capable to an N only type?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mintoreo on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks for the replies!

administrollaattori: I'm not clear on what that does that the native manager doesn't. Can you elaborate at all?

Spearmint2: I haven't (knowingly) changed anything, on either my computer or the source.
mintoreo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Spearmint2 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:27 pm

sounds to me like hardware problem. Have you tried a cheap USB wifi device instead? Is your wifi built into the device (laptop?) or plugs into it? Some of the older thinkpads used PCMCIA type cards for wifi.

Code: Select all
inxi -Nn
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mintoreo on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Are you implying that the machine I bought 3 years ago for $150 isn't top notch? ;) (I've been waiting for a hardware problem to pop up)

I'm currently using whatever is built into the laptop, but may have a USB wifi device around somewhere. I'll definitely start carrying one around for next time it goes on the fritz. Great suggestion, thanks!

$ inxi -Nn
Network: Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection driver: iwl4965
IF: wlan1 state: up mac: 00:1d:e0:02:f2:15
Card-2: Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1c:25:18:ce:32
mintoreo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: Intermittent Internet

Postby JeremyB on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:31 am

mintoreo wrote:Are you implying that the machine I bought 3 years ago for $150 isn't top notch? ;) (I've been waiting for a hardware problem to pop up)

I'm currently using whatever is built into the laptop, but may have a USB wifi device around somewhere. I'll definitely start carrying one around for next time it goes on the fritz. Great suggestion, thanks!

$ inxi -Nn
Network: Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection driver: iwl4965
IF: wlan1 state: up mac: 00:1d:e0:02:f2:15
Card-2: Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1c:25:18:ce:32

Definitely try a USB for wifi, the 4965 had issues in windows
JeremyB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Re: Intermittent Internet

Postby mintoreo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 am

JeremyB wrote:Definitely try a USB for wifi, the 4965 had issues in windows

Good to know, I'll get on it. Would that also contribute to the issue with the wired connection? And is installing a new card worthwhile for a novice to take on?
Thanks for the input!
mintoreo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: Re: Intermittent Internet

Postby JeremyB on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 pm

mintoreo wrote:
JeremyB wrote:Definitely try a USB for wifi, the 4965 had issues in windows

Good to know, I'll get on it. Would that also contribute to the issue with the wired connection? And is installing a new card worthwhile for a novice to take on?
Thanks for the input!

I don't know if it could interfere with wired. I have had 7 laptops and only 1 of them was something a novice shouldn't try replacing the wifi card on. Most wifi card swaps involve removing a few screws, popping off a piece of plastic to access the card, then remove the screw securing the card, tilt the card up and remove and finally remove the antenna connectors by lifting them from the card.

The difficult one was a dell n411z, had to remove the keyboard, about 12 screws, a few ribbon cables......never again
JeremyB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] Intermittent Internet

Postby mintoreo on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 pm

WOOOOO!! FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

I mean, I don't really understand what I did, but it's fixed and that's the important part.
Following the advice found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 0bb2adc530

I had all the same issues as the poster, and used "sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" to restore a symbolic link that had somehow gone missing and a reboot. Both wired and wireless connections are working again. I'm running victory laps.

Hopefully this helps someone else too, and thanks all who lended ideas!
mintoreo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JeremyB on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:31 pm

mintoreo wrote:WOOOOO!! FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

I mean, I don't really understand what I did, but it's fixed and that's the important part.
Following the advice found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 0bb2adc530

I had all the same issues as the poster, and used "sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" to restore a symbolic link that had somehow gone missing and a reboot. Both wired and wireless connections are working again. I'm running victory laps.

Hopefully this helps someone else too, and thanks all who lended ideas!

Good find
JeremyB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Spearmint2 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Let's add this to the thread here then.

You are running NetworkManager. Resolvconf writes resolv.conf based on what NetworkManager tells it.
NetworkManager usually obtains configuration information via DHCP. However, in your case NM hasn't obtained a DNS nameserver address. (See below.) So your machine does not know where to send DNS queries.
Earlier your /etc/resolv.conf did contain an address, 192.168.2.1.
============
It seems that your modemrouter is not currently providing an address for the DNS nameserver.
Check your modemrouter configuration.
If your laptop works then it's possibly because it has a valid *static* configuration.
==========
SUCCESS!
Installed brand new router, deleted previous settings in Network Manager.
Reset and BINGO... off to the races.
Spearmint2
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions