Screen Brightness

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Screen Brightness

Postby StarWars2014 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Hello,
I am currently new to Linux Mint, got it a about a week ago and I have Linux Mint 17. I have a emachines desktop and the screen is really bright for me and I don't know how to turn it down. A little help?
StarWars2014
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Screen Brightness

Postby all41 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Can you not control the brightness and backlight settings via the adjustment menu on the monitor itself?
ImageGoodbye Bill.. Windows close and doors open, the adventure begins--
all41
Level 5
Level 5

Postby StarWars2014 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Yes, I can but the thing is it won't let me even go on the brightness, its shaded out. :(
StarWars2014
Level 1
Level 1

Postby all41 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:18 pm

On some monitor menu there are picture preset modes, like Vivid, Night, Day, Custom or User etc. The video levels are preset by these
and will not allow individual picture adjustments for brightness, contrast, color level. etc.
By setting the preset mode to 'Custom' or 'User' (or whatever your monitor menu calls them) the levels
become adjustable.
ImageGoodbye Bill.. Windows close and doors open, the adventure begins--
all41
Level 5
Level 5

Postby PatH57 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:31 pm

what is your desktop environment? Xfce, Mate ,Cinnamon?
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Buzzsaw on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 pm

The following works for laptop screens, I'm not sure about desktop monitors, but you can try:

The screen brightness setting is stored in either
Code: Select all
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

or
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

so you need to edit one of these files. Try changing the number in both files and saving each one. Saving one of the files should cause the brightness to change.

Once you know which file controls the brightness, experiment by trying a few different numbers, saving the file after each time. The numbers usually range from 0 to 10, but they can be higher. You can see what the maximum allowed number is by reading the file
max_brightness
in the same two folders.

Once you've found a suitable setting, you can make it permanent by editing the file
/etc/rc.local

so that the bottom of the file looks like:
sleep 5
echo [x] > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
exit 0

or
sleep 5
echo [x] > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
exit 0

where [x] is the brightness number.
Last edited by Buzzsaw on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buzzsaw
Level 3
Level 3

Postby I2k4 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:47 pm

The relevant question is which desktop environment you installed: Cinnamon, etc. There are icons to install on your bottom panel to very easily adjust brightness: you might be able to find it yourself by right-clicking the panel and looking at the available "applets" to install on the panel or find "applets" in the Preferences menu, Then you click on the icon and adjust away. Beyond that, you have to be more specific about which Mint you are running so someone can help you find the control.
Mint 16 XFCE on Dell laptop, replacing XP, and dual booting W7 and the same Mint on an Acer netbook. Test driving Mint 17 Cinnamon via Persistent Live USB on these plus a W7 Lenovo desktop with peripherals.
I2k4
Level 3
Level 3

Postby StarWars2014 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:30 pm

I run Xfce.
StarWars2014
Level 1
Level 1

Postby PatH57 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:34 pm

let's have a look on the full configuration

inxi -Fxz
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Screen Brightness Applet / XFCE4 Goodies

Postby I2k4 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:49 pm

StarWars2014 wrote:I run Xfce.

I have Mint 16 XFCE and the Brightness applet is available when I right-click the Panel and look for "Add New Items". I'm not sure if the Brightness control is in the default installation or if I got it by installing the Panel "Goodies" which I always do.

Go into the Software Manager, write "Goodies" in the search box and install "XFCE4-goodies" to your system. Then the Brightness applet will certainly appear (along with many more icon options) when you right click on the Panel for New Items.

(XFCE4-goodies is also in Synaptic Package Manager if you prefer to install with that.)

See if that works for you.
Mint 16 XFCE on Dell laptop, replacing XP, and dual booting W7 and the same Mint on an Acer netbook. Test driving Mint 17 Cinnamon via Persistent Live USB on these plus a W7 Lenovo desktop with peripherals.
I2k4
Level 3
Level 3

Postby StarWars2014 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks 124k! I got the brightness plugin but all it says is "No device found". What should I do? :?:
StarWars2014
Level 1
Level 1

Postby catfish12 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:29 pm

HI try this it,s always got me out of probems
make app for pannel

works on mint 17 xfce on my laptop and desk top

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-bright ... -15-14-13/
catfish12
Level 2
Level 2

Postby I2k4 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:59 am

StarWars2014 wrote:Thanks 124k! I got the brightness plugin but all it says is "No device found". What should I do? :?:

Glad you got the panel item. You should try Catfish12's suggestion.

Apart from that, type "driver" into the Menu search area and a Driver Manager icon should come up - see if it detects an alternate driver for your monitor, and if so install it. You can also check online to see if the manufacturer provides an ubuntu compatible driver. You could also check the Settings / Display to see if your monitor is being detected in it with proper resolution and refresh rate.

It seems odd from your post above that the brightness control on the monitor itself isn't functioning - maybe some firmware defect in the monitor itself.
I2k4
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions