Various problems on a fresh Linux Mint 17

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Various problems on a fresh Linux Mint 17

Postby mandoman on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:newbies can always use great tutorials, I've used them myself and still do at times. Kudos!

Yeah, thanks, I just hope I don't make them more confused. On the updates, what does the red exclamation mark under "type" signify? It makes me nervous, but I can't seem to dig anything up that explains it. Last question, I promise.
What was that code again?
mandoman
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Spearmint2 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:14 pm

clk on Edit, then Preferences and the Legend will be explained.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mandoman on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I don't see it. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/mandomank/media/redexclmk.png.html

I have the pointer on it in the picture. I don't see anything in Preferences that tells me what that means. Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult.
mandoman
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mandoman on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:39 pm

I installed the latest image of Mint 13 Mate onto the laptop. Problems solved. Either my laptop actually has the ability to prefer one over the other, or Mint 17 has got a long way to go. JMHO.
mandoman
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Spearmint2 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:47 pm

mandoman wrote:I don't see it. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/mandomank/media/redexclmk.png.html

I have the pointer on it in the picture. I don't see anything in Preferences that tells me what that means. Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult.

I don't know if there's a legend for that part. The exclamations are used in Package Manager with exclamation marks, but I don't think those equate exactly to what's in mintupdate program.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Wompoo on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 am

I have just read through this thread as I'm considering updating to Mint 17 from my existing Mint 16

Can one of you provide a step by step summation of what went wrong for Mandoman please? And what lessons for the beginner can be learned? If that is possible.
I am slightly hesitant now to proceed with the update, pending an answer.
Thanks for the thread and the persistence of you both.
Wompoo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mandoman on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:03 pm

I shouldn't make such a summary. I probably gave up too soon. I just installed Mint 13 again, upgraded it in every way, while clinging tenaciously to Mate, and will probably try Mint 17 again in another year. I'm sure it will be running smooth by then. Really, the problems I had aren't untypical for Linux of any type. It seems like there are always new bugs, or just quirks that need ironing out of a new version. My desktops are still working fine with Mint 17, though I couldn't tell you what the difference is. Spearmint 2 was incredibly helpful, even if it didn't work out the way I hoped, but I ended up learning a bunch more really good things about using Linux with his help. Thanks again Spearmint 2. :)
mandoman
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Wompoo on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Ok, mandoman, I fully understand. Thanks for that reply.
However, some of your last post is confusing. You say in the second sentence: "..............and will probably try Mint 17 again in another year."
Then later in the post you say: "................ My desktops are still working fine with Mint 17".

I'm left wondering if this is a typographical error or wether or not you already have Linux Mint 17 or what?
Wompoo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby antenac on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 pm

I still using Mint 15 because I have not option.
Mint 16 doesn't work in my computer.... and I think Mint 17 wont work too.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=161069

To day I tried to boot one netbook with Mint 16 and didn't work... neither 32bit nor 64bits.
antenac
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Wompoo on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm

I have just downloaded Mint 17 and most things are working ok. However, some of the keys are swapped or transposed. I selected English (UK) when setting up.
How can I correct this?

Another problem I'm having is with my email via Thunderbird. It is not accepting my password.
How do I correct this please?
Wompoo
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions