Various problems on a fresh Linux Mint 17

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

I don't want to make a scene. That said, since I installed Mint Mate 17, I have been running into one problem, after another. The worst part is that I have no idea why. For instance, why did my laptop suddenly loose connectivity with my network, after having worked perfectly for years? Why does it say I have an internet connection while I'm installing, and post-installation reboot, but then suddenly can't find the network, or more precisely, not start up NetworkManager by the third time I boot it up? I have reloaded that laptop twice in as many weeks, and both times I lost my network connection after the post-installation configuration session. Why, when I use Terminal to kick start NetworkManager, do I get this message:

Code: Select all

(NetworkManager:22463): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Key file does not have group 'connectivity
???

This began the second boot up after a new reformatting, and installation. I still don't know what's causing it, and I have killed hours trying to find the answer. I asked for help in the Netwok section of this Forum yesterday, and have as yet not been offered assistance. The first re-installation, not only did the network connections misfire, the whole OS began setting up like Ubuntu. It still had the Mint splash screen, but when I logged in, it was like I had just installed Ubuntu. I don't want Ubuntu.

That's my laptop, now I want to mention a few things about my ethernet connected desktop. I just got done with a confusing session after a power outage, that basically disconnected every computer on my network, from my network. That was not surprising, however. I always have to reboot the router, AND the computers in order to get everything sorted out after such an event. This last time, though, the first computer I booted up (this desktop) grabbed the ACTUAL dns from my server, with no masques, and shut out every other computer from connecting, both to my local network, and the Internet. No big deal for many of you, I'm sure, but it took me three days to figure out what happened, and straighten it out. Then everything ran smoothly.......but not really, because my laptop was still funking around with network connection. At least, I thought, my desktop is straightened out.

That's NOT the case, however. First, let me say that I don't mess around with anything I don't know, when it comes to Linux. I learned that years ago. I've learned quite a bit since I first started using Linux, and still like it a lot more than the big two. So, when I say that I only update my system with "RECOMMENDED" updates, that's exactly all I do. My needs are simple. Thunderbird for e-mail, Chromium for Internet browsing, Audacity for track correction and sound conversion of music files, and Inkscape, GIMP, and Blender 3D for artistic expression (what ever that may be). I also use the recommended firewall, clam TK anti maleware, rkhunter, and Samba for my local network.

Today i booted up my desktop, and noticed that there were recommended updates to download, and install, so I set it in motion. That's when everything went heywire. First, my computer froze in the middle of the update installation. I couldn't access anything by any means, including Terminal. I was forced to do a manual reboot. In the process of rebooting, I noticed that the little green dots that normally roll under the "Mint 17" splash logo were not green, but a dark yellow, or light orange. That was disturbing. I waited for well beyond the reasonable time for the bootup to reach the login screen, but it never reached that point. It just sat there, with "Mint 17" and it's orange dots rolling in front of my eyes. Then I did another manual reboot, and went to "Recovery Mode". I had it check grub, and network connection, and then tried letting it continue a normal boot sequence. It froze. So, I did another manual reboot, and this time brought up the Root Command Line, and told it to update.

Update is an interesting word. It implies that one is receiving software that will keep the computer up-to-date, which was the whole point of going with Mint 17. What I saw roll across my screen about made me sick. I can't go into detail, I can only say that I started seeing errors, and unable to find, and rerouting older configurations, and....oh, this is the really good one "Well, this aught to get you by for now, but indications are that your installation is bad, and you should re-install". That may not have been the exact words, but it's darn close. Thankfully, it went on with the update, and I think it corrected some of what ever was causing trouble, and I still don't have a clue what that was.

.xsession-errors has all kinds of "Critical" warnings, most of which I don't understand. such as,

(vino-server:15089): EggSMClient-CRITICAL **: egg_sm_client_set_mode: assertion 'global_client == NULL || global_client_mode == EGG_SM_CLIENT_MODE_DISABLED' failed
and

(mintUpdate.py:15308): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.

(mintUpdate.py:15308): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.

[15333:15369:0820/175839:ERROR:gservices_settings.cc(103)] Setting not found: checkin_interval
[15333:15404:0820/175856:ERROR:get_updates_processor.cc(240)] PostClientToServerMessage() failed during GetUpdates
Believe it or not, I don't know what else to say. When I report a problem, it's a crap shoot as to whether I will get help (and I heartfully thank those that HAVE helped). So, if moving up to Mint 17 is so critical, why does it function so badly. None of the events I listed above happened while I was using Mint 16. If "Support" means continued updates, I'm not sure I trust it. How is it that I can have the drivers installed, and running for the NVidia GeForce card I have installed, but suddenly loose them just a few minutes ago. The Video was completely reset to NoVous, though I made sure to correct that, so my NVidia card is once again using the correct drivers.

What's happening? Am I the only one that's loosing his sanity over computers that once ran smoothly, and are now struggling to make sense of anything? I like Mint. Mint 14, 15, and 16 were all good. I feel like the bottom has fallen out of Mint, and I don't know why.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
What was that code again?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

did you md5sum check the ISO you used BEFORE using it?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Still using Linux Mint 14, 15, or 16? Upgrade to 17 asap

Post by mandoman »

Spearmint2 wrote:did you md5sum check the ISO you used BEFORE using it?
You mean at the end of burning the ISO image to disk? Yeah, it did the checksum, and it passed. So are you suggesting that it didn't burn the image correctly? I thought of that, only I never saw any indication of it when using the burned image disk. How do I know if the checksum is acurate? Also, isn't the checksum suppose to be kind of questionable in accuracy?

Heck, I'll do a whole new download, and burn another disk if you think it's the problem. I still don't see how you can tell, especially when it installs the OS so smoothly.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I was talking in reference to the ISO , but there is a way to run a checksum on the DVD itself.

md5sum --help
Here is me doing it on my DVD. Some mention of bad formatting, but all is "OK". Of course when you hit the casper area and it seems to hang, that's just the big squash file it's checking.

mint16@mint16 ~ $ cd /media
mint16@mint16 /media $ ls
guest  mint16  mint17  truecrypt1  vfat
mint16@mint16 /media $ cd mint16
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16 $ ls
Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16 $ cd Linux\ Mint\ 17\ MATE\ 32-bit
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16/Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit $ ls
boot  casper  dists  isolinux  MD5SUMS  pool  preseed  README.diskdefines
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16/Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit $ md5sum -c MD5SUMS
./.disk/base_installable: OK
./.disk/casper-uuid-generic: OK
./.disk/cd_type: OK
./.disk/info: OK
./.disk/live-uuid-generic: OK
./.disk/release_notes_url: OK
./README.diskdefines: OK
./boot/grub/grub.cfg: OK
./boot/grub/loopback.cfg: OK
./casper/filesystem.manifest: OK
./casper/filesystem.manifest-remove: OK
./casper/filesystem.size: OK
./casper/filesystem.squashfs: OK
./casper/initrd.lz: OK
./casper/memtest: OK
./casper/vmlinuz: OK
./dists/trusty/Release: OK
./dists/trusty/contrib/binary-i386/Packages: OK
./dists/trusty/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz: OK
./dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages: OK
./dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: OK
./dists/trusty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages: OK
./dists/trusty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz: OK
./isolinux/16x16.fnt: OK
./isolinux/am.tr: OK
./isolinux/ast.tr: OK
./isolinux/back.jpg: OK
./isolinux/be.tr: OK
./isolinux/bg.tr: OK
./isolinux/bootlogo: OK
./isolinux/bs.tr: OK
./isolinux/ca.tr: OK
./isolinux/cs.tr: OK
./isolinux/da.tr: OK
./isolinux/de.tr: OK
./isolinux/el.tr: OK
./isolinux/en.tr: OK
./isolinux/eo.tr: OK
./isolinux/es.tr: OK
./isolinux/et.tr: OK
./isolinux/eu.tr: OK
./isolinux/fa.tr: OK
./isolinux/fi.tr: OK
./isolinux/fr.tr: OK
./isolinux/ga.tr: OK
./isolinux/gl.tr: OK
./isolinux/he.tr: OK
./isolinux/hr.tr: OK
./isolinux/hu.tr: OK
./isolinux/id.tr: OK
./isolinux/is.tr: OK
./isolinux/isolinux.cfg: OK
./isolinux/it.tr: OK
./isolinux/ja.tr: OK
./isolinux/ka.tr: OK
./isolinux/kk.tr: OK
./isolinux/kn.tr: OK
./isolinux/ko.tr: OK
./isolinux/ku.tr: OK
./isolinux/langlist: OK
./isolinux/lo.tr: OK
./isolinux/lt.tr: OK
./isolinux/lv.tr: OK
./isolinux/mk.tr: OK
./isolinux/mr.tr: OK
./isolinux/nb.tr: OK
./isolinux/nl.tr: OK
./isolinux/nn.tr: OK
./isolinux/pl.tr: OK
./isolinux/pt.tr: OK
./isolinux/pt_BR.tr: OK
./isolinux/ro.tr: OK
./isolinux/ru.tr: OK
./isolinux/si.tr: OK
./isolinux/sk.tr: OK
./isolinux/sl.tr: OK
./isolinux/splash.png: OK
./isolinux/sq.tr: OK
./isolinux/sr.tr: OK
./isolinux/sv.tr: OK
./isolinux/te.tr: OK
./isolinux/tl.tr: OK
./isolinux/tr.tr: OK
./isolinux/uk.tr: OK
./isolinux/vesamenu.c32: OK
./isolinux/vi.tr: OK
./isolinux/zh_CN.tr: OK
./isolinux/zh_TW.tr: OK
./pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_1%3a018-2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/b/bcmwl/bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/b/bogl/bogl-bterm_0.1.18-9ubuntu1_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/e/efibootmgr/efibootmgr_0.5.4-7ubuntu1_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/l/linux-wlan-ng/linux-wlan-ng_0.2.9+dfsg-5_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/m/mouseemu/mouseemu_0.16-0ubuntu9_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/n/ncurses/ncurses-term_5.9+20140118-1ubuntu1_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/s/setserial/setserial_2.17-48_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/t/tasksel/tasksel-data_2.88ubuntu15_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/t/tasksel/tasksel_2.88ubuntu15_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/u/ubiquity/oem-config-debconf_2.18.8-1linuxmint2_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/u/ubiquity/oem-config_2.18.8-1linuxmint2_all.deb: OK
./pool/main/u/ubiquity/ubiquity-frontend-debconf_2.18.8-1linuxmint2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvdial/wvdial_1.61-4.1_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvstreams/libuniconf4.6_4.6.1-7_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-base_4.6.1-7_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-extras_4.6.1-7_i386.deb: OK
./pool/non-free/s/sl-modem/sl-modem-daemon_2.9.11~20110321-9_i386.deb: OK
./preseed/cli.seed: OK
./preseed/linuxmint.seed: OK
md5sum: WARNING: 6 lines are improperly formatted
mint16@mint16 /media/mint16/Linux Mint 17 MATE 32-bit $ 
UPDATE 8/21/2014;
I found 5 of the 6 "improperly formatted" lines. Probably for invalid characters in a path name? Can't find the 6th. It might be referencing the name of the disk since it has spaces, or maybe the MD5SUM file itself, since there's no sum for it. The ones I found with separation placed before the offending character is;

./pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_1              %3a018-2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/b/bcmwl/bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141      +bdcom-0ubuntu2_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/l/linux-wlan-ng/linux-wlan-ng_0.2.9           +dfsg-5_i386.deb: OK
./pool/main/n/ncurses/ncurses-term_5.9                    +20140118-1ubuntu1_all.deb: OK
./pool/non-free/s/sl-modem/sl-modem-daemon_2.9.11         ~20110321-9_i386.deb: OK
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I just ignore all those GLIB errors. If you check around many are calling it "GLIB Spam".

1) having problems with network connections

2) there was a power outage and a modem/router reboot.

3) suddenly ethernet was messed up. It's like one computer is hooked direct to the modem instead of the router (you didn't get the LAN and WAN ports crossed up did you?) Also check router settings make sure it didn't DMZ to you. Oh, I see you fixed that.

4)Back to the laptop, and I guess wireless connection. Did you reset your SSID if needed on the router after the power outage? Did your WPA or WEP setting you used change from what your laptop uses?

5) updates froze. Did you first install the new mintupdate program? If not, do so from Synaptic Package Manager.

6) you told it during rescue mode to "update" so I'm assuming a "update-grub" was passed to it.

7) libglade warnings in or for mintupdate. The libglade is from gnome program, which may include now the mintupdate. Maybe getting the latest mintupdate program installed will fix that.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Spearmint2,
4) Yes, over and over and over
5) Shouldn't that be included in an update? If not, how do we know when such a program is available. I check in here every couple of days, but I don't spot everything.

I tried the md5sum, using suggested --help. I must not be using it correctly, as I'm not getting any results. I'll study it further, and keep working at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sorry for complaining, but this is the only kind of help I was hoping for when I opened the topic in the Networking section. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand, just some suggestions are very welcome. Thank you.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

the md5sum --help was just so you could see the other options available. I then ran the md5sum -c option on my DVD and posted it so you could see how to do it and the results. If mintupdate can't update itself properly, it's good we have apt-get command and the Package Manager to do it instead isn't it?

On #4 do you mean it keeps losing it's settings, or you checked them many times to insure they remained correct?
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Various problems on a fresh Linux Mint 17

Post by mandoman »

Okay, I'll check both the image, and the disk. I agree completely about apt-get, but it doesn't work if you don't have Internet.

On #4 I meant that it keeps loosing the settings.....I think. It's what I tried to explain, but probably didn't explain right. Every time I boot up the laptop, it gives the line that says it's trying to boot with network, and then 60 seconds more of trying to boot with network, and then finally telling me it can't find the network settings, and is booting without network. It's tedious, to say the least. When I get on, without network, I open Terminal and type "sudo NetworkManager". After giving my password, it comes back with the

(NetworkManager:22463): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Key file does not have group 'connectivity
The first time it did that, I went through the full command sequence

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo dhclient -r wlan0
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "My Network Name"
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
sudo dhclient wlan0
That has always been successful in the past, but not now. Now I have to use another command sequence I got from a Topic thread on this very subject, that seems to carry more punch.

sudo ifdown -v wlan0
sudo ifup -v wlan0
I had to do it a few minutes ago, as I'm on my laptop right now. It always works for the current session, but when I reboot, it will have forgotten everything, again. It doesn't matter if I check the ip addr, or ip route, or dns settings. The only thing that has been a sure fire solution is what I listed above. I went through the route of manually setting the ip addr, and the ip route, and it always says that everything is set, like so

wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1b:b1:ec:66:8f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.21/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global wlan0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet 192.168.1.22/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global secondary wlan0
    inet6 fe80::21b:b1ff:feec:668f/64 scope link 
Do you see the 192.168.1.21? When I first started, that same line used the number 192.168.1.9. Every time I have to use the sure fire network connection method, that number string has one higher number at the end than it did the last session. Do I sound confused? Yes. Am I an idiot for not figuring this out? Most likely, but I'm still trying.

By the way, what is that line that reads

?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

By the way, what is that line that reads
Don't know for sure, but since it has "brd" (broadband?) in the middle like the IPv4 address does, probably something similar. Might be some internal code for the ethernet part of the networking or I think most likely a Mac address primary and one alternate, or actual and the cloned. I also ran it in a hex editor and nothing much learned from that other than ff = 66. My bet is on Mac address.

Give this a try;

sudo service network-manager stop; 
then run this to restart it.

sudo service network-manager start;
that helped me get back my missing nm-applet, seems to reset things.

You can get some deeper research here, Arch Linux has great wiki's!
Pay attention to the part about static IP addresses. I think that's what broke my nm-applet from panel, but I have it back now. I was setting static IP's for each user, so I could control access for each at router level.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

You might also consider a reinstall using

sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager
If all else fails and you get totally frustrated with network manager or gnome network manager, you can give WICD a try.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Okay, I tried the first command, and it returned

stop: Unknown instance:
I checked out the site you recommended, and I can see it will be an education. I'm going to have to study it closely. I don't grasp this stuff as quickly as others, but I can learn it if I work at it, and I like it, so I will work at it. Thanks.

I decided to run the network manager re-install you showed. What was ti be lost? It seems it went well, but when I did an apt-get update, at the end of the update it pegged this on, almost as an afterthought, but it looks kind of serious.

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A8AA1FAA3F055C03
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2B3F92F902D65EFF
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A6804EA8EAE0D85C
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

about those public keys;

software-sources
then clk on "restore default settings"

regarding the stop message from networking, you can check to see if it stopped or not using this.

status networking
Personally, I think the networking for linux is still buggy. This bug report started 2010 and still active.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/663352
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

LOL!! Thanks, I'll mark that down too. I've been researching, and it seems it isn't an uncommon problem. I found a solution that worked perfectly for me. It's just a command to re-install the missing keys.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys <missing key #>
After I used that, entering each of the missing keys on three separate runs, i ran an apt-get update, and all was well. I'm still working on the DHCP problem, though. :)
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Okay, I finally figured out how to run the md5sum hash check. One problem, running the image I downloaded came up with this:

215edb6ab70d2250cae99b6f02dce45a  linuxmint-17-mate-64bit-v2.iso
However, when I looked up the hash # for LInux Mint 17 Mate 64 Bit hash on-line, it gave me this number:

920745657CAFF2389F44FB26CC3C077FB25415A4
They obviously don't match, so what am I missing, or doing wrong? Sorry to keep bugging you.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=160
Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" - MATE (64-bit)
Information about this edition
Release Qiana
Edition MATE (64-bit)
Desktop MATE
Media DVD
Size 1.4GB
MD5 215edb6ab70d2250cae99b6f02dce45a
Release notes Release Notes
Announcement Announcement
Torrent Torrent

OK, you got a good ISO for sure! They did a respin for a version 2 and that's what you have, which is good. That other number was for the original one which caused problems and they had to fix and respin.

try this;

sudo dpkg --reconfigure network-manager
also;

Open Synaptic Package Manager and select the option to "Fix Broken Packages".
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Spearmint2 wrote:http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=160
OK, you got a good ISO for sure! They did a respin for a version 2 and that's what you have, which is good. That other number was for the original one which caused problems and they had to fix and respin.

try this;

sudo dpkg --reconfigure network-manager
also;

Open Synaptic Package Manager and select the option to "Fix Broken Packages".

dpkg: error: unknown option --reconfigure

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use 'apt' or 'aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through 'less' or 'more' !
I'm sorry, I've never done a reconfiguration of an OS, The above was what I got in response to the command you had me use. I just copied it, and pasted it to make sure I didn't mess up. Was I suppose to give a different option? LOL, sometimes I spend hours trying to figure out the correct "option" for a command I'm trying to use. I tried it with just one dash before the "reconfigure" option, with the same results, and also with no dashes. I have done the action you said with the Synaptic Package Manager before, but didn't yet as I don't think I got the results you expected from the first. I could just go ahead and install the newer image, as my whole system is well backed up.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Ah, I see my mistake. Follow this information.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/kar ... ure.8.html

dpkg-reconfigure network-manager
If that or using Package Manager to do the same, I'm pretty much out of ideas.

This is the grandaddy approach of them all. It's like the proverbial "last straw" to try before maybe reloading the system.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/422928/h ... net-access

sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager

The above command will purge all the packages that was related to the service network-manager.You can download all packages as .deb file using a Ubuntu Live disk and then install it to your original OS.

First boot from a Ubuntu Live disk.

Once you go there open a terminal and run the below command,

sudo apt-get download network-manager*

This will download all the network-manager packages to the home directory.

Now copy all the .deb packages to a folder in that pen drive or other partitions in your HDD and then reboot to your system.

Once you go there open terminal and do the following:

cd /path/to/the/directory/where/.deb/files/are/located
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

The above command will install all the .deb files.

Now restart your network-manager by running sudo service network-manager restart

Now you have the package network-manager-gnome running again.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Okay, that got a result. Kind of an abrupt result, and I don't have a clue what it means:

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19 Oubuntu.1) ...
Is that what you expected? If so, I'll move on to the Synaptic Package Manager, and have it fix any broken packages.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Oh yeah, it should have been quick.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

It just dawned on me that I hadn't run the test on the first edition of Mint 17 Mate, but on version 2. The first edition is what I installed onto the laptop, and the desktops. The desktops seem to be working smoothly now. I think I'll just install version 2 on the troublesome laptop.

I thank you for your help. You have taught me several new things, and sent me into different search directions that taught me other new things, about Linux Mint. I have a text document to which I copy all of the things I learn that have worked well. I rate myself as a Linux user, but still learning many of the basics. I'm thinking of someday making a web page, maybe even part of the Linux Wiki, if allowed, with a beginners comprehensive guide of sorts. I'll never be a Guru, or expert, but I would sure like to help others like me in what way I'm able. It would be a guide that ever changes with new developments, and useful ideas by other users. Someone like you won't need it, but I'm hoping it will help someone like me.

Many thanks. :)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

newbies can always use great tutorials, I've used them myself and still do at times. Kudos!

Return to “Beginner Questions”