Various problems on a fresh Linux Mint 17

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Various problems on a fresh Linux Mint 17

Post by mandoman »

Spearmint2 wrote:newbies can always use great tutorials, I've used them myself and still do at times. Kudos!
Yeah, thanks, I just hope I don't make them more confused. On the updates, what does the red exclamation mark under "type" signify? It makes me nervous, but I can't seem to dig anything up that explains it. Last question, I promise.
What was that code again?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

clk on Edit, then Preferences and the Legend will be explained.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

I don't see it. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean.

http://s1113.removed/user/mandomank/med ... k.png.html

I have the pointer on it in the picture. I don't see anything in Preferences that tells me what that means. Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

I installed the latest image of Mint 13 Mate onto the laptop. Problems solved. Either my laptop actually has the ability to prefer one over the other, or Mint 17 has got a long way to go. JMHO.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

mandoman wrote:I don't see it. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean.

http://s1113.removed/user/mandomank/med ... k.png.html

I have the pointer on it in the picture. I don't see anything in Preferences that tells me what that means. Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult.
I don't know if there's a legend for that part. The exclamations are used in Package Manager with exclamation marks, but I don't think those equate exactly to what's in mintupdate program.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I have just read through this thread as I'm considering updating to Mint 17 from my existing Mint 16

Can one of you provide a step by step summation of what went wrong for Mandoman please? And what lessons for the beginner can be learned? If that is possible.
I am slightly hesitant now to proceed with the update, pending an answer.
Thanks for the thread and the persistence of you both.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

I shouldn't make such a summary. I probably gave up too soon. I just installed Mint 13 again, upgraded it in every way, while clinging tenaciously to Mate, and will probably try Mint 17 again in another year. I'm sure it will be running smooth by then. Really, the problems I had aren't untypical for Linux of any type. It seems like there are always new bugs, or just quirks that need ironing out of a new version. My desktops are still working fine with Mint 17, though I couldn't tell you what the difference is. Spearmint 2 was incredibly helpful, even if it didn't work out the way I hoped, but I ended up learning a bunch more really good things about using Linux with his help. Thanks again Spearmint 2. :)
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Ok, mandoman, I fully understand. Thanks for that reply.
However, some of your last post is confusing. You say in the second sentence: "..............and will probably try Mint 17 again in another year."
Then later in the post you say: "................ My desktops are still working fine with Mint 17".

I'm left wondering if this is a typographical error or wether or not you already have Linux Mint 17 or what?
Desktop PC #1
antenac

Post by antenac »

I still using Mint 15 because I have not option.
Mint 16 doesn't work in my computer.... and I think Mint 17 wont work too.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=161069

To day I tried to boot one netbook with Mint 16 and didn't work... neither 32bit nor 64bits.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I have just downloaded Mint 17 and most things are working ok. However, some of the keys are swapped or transposed. I selected English (UK) when setting up.
How can I correct this?

Another problem I'm having is with my email via Thunderbird. It is not accepting my password.
How do I correct this please?
Desktop PC #1
Neuromancemeister

Post by Neuromancemeister »

I did a fresh installation of 17 formating over 16, and it has been more bumpy ride on this version. The main issue is a USB wireless Belkin N600 that was working fine before I cannot make it work anymore. I tried every normal path I was able to find on the forums, reinstalling ndiswrapp, trying older versions, the driver is not working. Posted my issue on the wireless section, still stuck. Linux driver is not supported.
I have a x64 mate and cinnamon installation.
I have spent a lot of time working on this and I am seriously considering going back to 16.
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

please delete this entry

Post by panorain »

please delete this entry
Last edited by panorain on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Ok I read through the whole above and it's really good since I am a complete Newbie of sorts.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall 'package-name' <--Very good

I got the key thing sorted out as far as 'Software Sources' -> Restore default setting <- and it really works properly on Qiana 17. but what about Maya 13? is there a way to set the repos back to default in Maya 13 like Qiana 17's clk button approach?

Code: Select all

apt-key list
Shows no errors in Qiana but how can one accomplish this in Maya? <--Maya still shows gpg errors listed below.

paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ apt-key list
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/home/paul/.gnupg/.#lk0x814d8d0.desk/paul-HP.4171': No such file or directory
gpg: fatal: can't create lock for `/home/paul/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg'
secmem usage: 0/0 bytes in 0/0 blocks of pool 0/32768

paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ uname -a
Linux desk/paul-HP 3.2.0-59-generic #90-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 7 22:47:22 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The above is on a Maya machine.

I apologize for posting but I just wanted to say thanks also.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

software-sources
See if that opens the list of repositories and keys in Maya. If one other than the ones for linuxmint are showing inactive, then remove it. Sounds like PPA for some program you may have added from outside rather than repository and that site may not be active anymore.

also try this;

gpg --list-sigs
which should give you similar to this.

gpg: /home/mint17/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Thank you for your reply and help.

@SpearMint2
To my knowledge as the administrator of this pc --> I never prior to 'attempted to import any key' <--basic updates/no compiling etc.

paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ software-sources
software-sources: command not found
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ gpg --list-sigs
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/home/paul/.gnupg/.#lk0x9632ba0.desk/paul-HP.2915': No such file or directory
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $

paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ sudo gpg --list-sigs
[sudo] password for paul:
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `/home/paul/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/home/paul/.gnupg/.#lk0x974aab8.desk/paul-HP.3034': No such file or directory
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $

drwx------ 2 paul paul 4.0K Nov 27 02:31 .gnupg <---Should root own it?
-rw------- 1 paul paul 9.3K Nov 27 02:31 gpg.conf <---What is improper about the following file ownership perms/if any?
gpg: fatal: can't create lock for `/home/paul/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg' <---!GPG must be open somehow because the program cannot create a lock?!

I recently have tried on the Ubuntu posts <--keep it quiet as I am trying to pretend I run 'Ubuntu 12.04 - we know it's Mint 13' The following link is the forum posting in the Ubuntu forums. <-- I apologize but what else can I do at this point?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2254534

I'm getting GPG-key issues and I have no idea why. I appreciate your time and help as always.

@SpearMint2 wrote:
See if that opens the list of repositories and keys in Maya. If one other than the ones for linuxmint are showing inactive, then remove it. Sounds like PPA for some program you may have added from outside rather than repository and that site may not be active anymore.
Can't I just untick the box in Software Sources as I have done? Seriously this link has the current PPA for Pidgin---> http://pidgin.im/download/ubuntu/

Obviously I am doing something wrong and do not know enough - I tried this also in the terminal:

paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv A1F196A8
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `/home/paul/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
gpg: external program calls are disabled due to unsafe options file permissions
gpg: keyserver communications error: general error
gpg: keyserver receive failed: general error

It fails to work thank you for your help so far. <---I am wondering why it's not working I could easily install a new Mint 13 but then I will never know why it fails.

By the way if it means anything I did install the latest Pidgin package via Synaptic it's the 1:2.10.10 <--What difference does it make when (a supposidly supported operating system cannot even import a current/supported key/ It's a botch it's a joke who knows.

I apologize and thank you once again for bearing with me adding onto this post.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

drwx------ 2 paul paul 4.0K Nov 27 02:31 .gnupg <---Should root own it?
-rw------- 1 paul paul 9.3K Nov 27 02:31 gpg.conf <---What is improper about the following file ownership perms/if any?
gpg: fatal: can't create lock for `/home/paul/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg' <---!GPG must be open somehow because the program cannot create a lock?!
No, if it's in your home folder YOU should own it. You should be able to create and delete files, root and other administrator set to access files, at least that's what is on mine. Did you run chmod on anything recently in the home folder? Or backed up and then replaced files from the home folder? If so, then the ownership may have gotten messed up. Any other problems that seem ownership aka permission related?
Obviously I am doing something wrong and do not know enough - I tried this also in the terminal:
gpgand pgp stuff is always a pain, might need someone who's an expert on it to drop in and help if changing permissions on the folder and it's files won't solve it. Each user on the same computer could have differing gpg setup.

I'm confused by this part.

.gnupg/.#lk0x974aab8.desk/paul-HP.3034

why is it trying to create a *.desk folder and what is paul-HP.3034 ? Your home folder is just "paul", so is this involving a printer? Or is that related to this laptop? Or is your computer named paul and that's the username?

Here's a book link about gpg

I'd work on getting the permission set first, then move on from there if that doesn't solve it. I know who to go to for UEFI, GPT, stuff but not yet run across a guru for GPG here that I recall. I'm going to go read that ubuntu link you gave now.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

To my knowledge as the administrator of this pc --> I never prior to 'attempted to import any key' <--basic updates/no compiling etc.
LOL, I just had a thought, this might be simpler than first imagined. If you NEVER had any desire or need to use gpg, it's possible that;

1) you never set it up, but got hit by an email that contained an exploit designed to do gpg ransomware attack on windows computers.

2) you could remove the dot gnupg folder into some other place like a subfolder in Documents and see what happens. Maybe the problem ends and nothing else happens.

3) if all's well after a few days or weeks, put in the Trash (not delete yet) and let it sit there and rot a bit longer.

4) that randomized folder name looks very suspicious to me.
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Thank you for writing back.

I did change the name of the computer

/etc/hostname = desk/paul-HP

/etc/hosts = 127.0.1.1 desk/paul_HP <--there are 8 lines in this file. You may be onto something with this error.

And yes I do use Hotmail <--networkwide <--as email. 1) you never set it up, but got hit by an email that contained an exploit designed to do gpg ransomware attack on windows computers. <--nothing works as far as .gpg on any Maya machine or the older Ubuntu 10.04'. I agree it's a pain, confusing, albit but nevertheless. I had/priorly/asked-wanted to belong/ to/VIA a 'Linux user group' <--in my area/-that were spinning GPG messages to and fro. Maybe that is it -doubtful.

Then if it's safe its a go -- I just moved the file/folder =-> '.gnupg' to Desktop = no permission changes and see what happens. <--what would you reccomend for a command after I move the folder out? = Done just did it the file is labeled < .gnupg1 >. Once again this is dealing with Mint Maya 13 MAYA. I found that on Another machine I run - equipped with Mint Qiana 17 MATE-->Menu-->Administration-->Software/Sources-->RESORE DEFAULT SETTING<--fixed the 'gpg error' <--which had resulted in adding 1 prior repo from Maya to it's source lists to obtain 'k9copy'. So I really do not believe it's 'code' being sent through. I really believe it's the OS. I guess at this point for what that input its worth. Dang, maybe it is from changing the system name I just ran an-->

apt-key list
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ sudo apt-key list
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/etc/apt/.#lk0x9cf4b60.desk/paul-HP.3867': No such file or directory
gpg: fatal: can't create lock for `/etc/apt/trustdb.gpg'
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $

On the same Maya machine ^
@Spearmint Any other problems that seem ownership aka permission related? <--none
I could reinstall Maya 13 on this machine real easy but I am searching for anwsers as to what/why the gpg issue has become such a failure. <--in the first place
Thank you for the 'book link' on gpg i'll read on it. <--obviously I need to.

Once again thank you for your time and I thank you for your help it's very appreciated.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

this is windows but applies as regards host file in linux too.

Check Windows HOSTS File

Check Windows HOSTS file for modifications It is possible that the Google Redirect virus has modified your PC’s HOSTS file. The Windows HOSTS file contains a list of computer IP addresses which is accessed whenever a user types in a web address to their browser. The browser will check the HOSTS file to see if the typed address exists in the HOSTS file and if so, direct the user to the relevant site. If the address doesn’t exist in the HOSTS file, the browser will ask the user’s ISP DNS server for the web address and once obtained will direct the user to the site.

The Windows HOSTS file is a standard .TXT file and can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc under the name ‘hosts’. There is also a file called ‘lmhosts’ – make sure you select the HOSTS file! There is usually no file association with the HOSTS file, so open it by right-clicking (or double-clicking) the file and selecting ‘Open With’ followed by Notepad.

An unmodified HOSTS file should only contain the IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost. If there are other entries in the HOSTS file, remove them and then resave the file.

These checks can be applied to any suspected malware infestation, not just the Google Redirect variant. There are many viruses, malware applications and other nasties which can target any or all of the above so its always a good idea to check each one.

Put a hash tag in front of that line 127.0.1.1 desk/paul_HP to comment it out. I don't even have a localhost line in my host file, but that's because I replaced it with an ad blocker type of host file from here, I've not had any problems without 127.0.0.1 localhost in it. Also consider the other lines in there, if they are also loopbacks, or directs to specific IP addresses that aren't local, bypassing DNS server.

If that doesn't work, we can try something else.

whoami
just to be sure of what username it reports for itself.
what about Maya 13? is there a way to set the repos back to default in Maya 13 like Qiana 17's clk button approach?
to check the current entries in sources.list file

inxi -r
Not having used Maya, maybe this will find the repositories you need for it. It works under Qiana. You could reenter them manually if not already there.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d official-package-repositories.list
Also, this

http://forums.linuxmint.com/download/fi ... &mode=view

your id should show as something like paul@paul-HP, but you have the user name in the desk folder; paul@desk/paul-HP . What's up with that?

the below can help you find current user, users in the groups, and users assigned an ID.

users

groups

cat /etc/passwd |grep :1000
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Thanks for replying,
Put a hash tag in front of that line 127.0.1.1 desk/paul_HP to comment it out. I don't even have a localhost line in my host file, but that's because I replaced it with an ad blocker type of host file from here, I've not had any problems without 127.0.0.1 localhost in it. Also consider the other lines in there, if they are also loopbacks, or directs to specific IP addresses that aren't local, bypassing DNS server.
My /etc/hosts file now looks like the following: Then I saved the /etc/hosts file and rebooted the computer.

127.0.0.1 localhost
# 127.0.1.1 desk/paul-HP

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
# ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
# fe00::0 ip6-localnet
# ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
# ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
# ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

whoami
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ whoami
paul

inxi -r
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ inxi -r
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya main upstream import
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ precise partner
deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu precise-removed apps
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $

The above appears to include all the default Maya entries: <---deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu precise-removed apps is not necessary but it's activated.
I compared them to a blog list I found here --> http://hajimu.org/?p=3201
Also, this

download/file.php?id=20501&mode=view

your id should show as something like paul@paul-HP, but you have the user name in the desk folder; paul@desk/paul-HP . What's up with that?
I did the above to more easily see the 'particular device' on the Lan 'if it is a desktop=desk , laptop=lap etc. <--possibly a bad idea now that you mentioned it. I was getting a bit confused with enabled 'Access Control' with so many wireless addresses. It's a small Lan here at home though like less than 15 devices. Your thoughts?

users
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $ users
paul
paul@desk/paul-HP ~ $

paul@desk/paul-HP /home $ ls -lah
total 20K
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4.0K Aug 7 14:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4.0K Nov 27 00:04 ..
drwx------ 57 paul paul 4.0K Dec 23 09:01 paul
drwxrws--- 2 root plugdev 4.0K Nov 2 15:11 Shared
drwxrwx--- 36 visitor visitor 4.0K Dec 18 02:50 visitor

I have added a visitor account as one can see above:

groups
paul@desk/paul-HP /home $ groups paul
paul : paul adm cdrom sudo dip video plugdev lpadmin sambashare burning wireshark visitor k9copy k3b
paul@desk/paul-HP /home $ groups visitor
visitor : visitor adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape audio dip video plugdev fuse scanner

I do notice that the above listed MAYA user-groups do differ a little from the Newer Qiana where not as many 'groups' are automatically added to a newly created user. <--for what it's worth.

cat /etc/passwd |grep :1000
paul@desk/paul-HP /home $ cat /etc/passwd |grep :1000
paul:x:1000:1000:paul,,,:/home/paul:/bin/bash
paul@desk/paul-HP /home $

paul@desk/paul-HP /home $ sudo apt-key list
sudo: unable to resolve host desk/paul-HP
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/etc/apt/.#lk0x8f12b60.desk/paul-HP.3002': No such file or directory
gpg: fatal: can't create lock for `/etc/apt/trustdb.gpg'

paul@desk/paul-HP /home $ apt-key list
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/home/paul/.gnupg/.#lk0x98a68d0.desk/paul-HP.3018': No such file or directory

Thank you,
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Return to “Beginner Questions”