USB Install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beach-bubba

USB Install

Post by beach-bubba »

...Hi, I am extreme newbie...I am running from anything MS Windows, especially since XP>.

I have Linux mint installed fron DVD I burned and love it on a desktop. My problem is, for the last few days I have been trying to install Mint17 on an Asus X101CH with 7 starter and no dvd drive. I can't get (don't know how) a Mint/XFCE package on the 8gb thumb drive that will install on a forced boot...or any other boot on the eeebook. I will need very simple and clear instructions to follow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: USB Install

Post by slipstick »

I assume that you have created the thumb drive, but just can't get it to boot?

If that's the case, maybe you have the same problem I did. While my computer is completely different than yours, I had some confusion trying to boot from a thumb drive. I finally realized that:
1 - I had to have the thumb drive plugged in when I booted and entered CMOS setup
2 - The USB thumb drive didn't appear on the list of boot priorities in the CMOS setup at first, because I had to first look in the priority list for hard drives and set the thumb drive to top priority - then it appeared in the boot priority list. Why it is listed under hard drives I have no idea!
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Good advice above: the main thing is to get the BIOS set to make the USB drive the first priority for booting. BUT be aware that certain brands of thumb drive - e.g. Kingston DataTraveler - will NOT boot an operating system even if the computer's BIOS is set correctly as the priority. Kingston mentions this on its website, but it completely confused me until I found it. I reformatted etc. etc. etc. to try to make it work and it just won't. By comparison other drives - e.g. SanDisk - work fine.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
beach-bubba

Post by beach-bubba »

...Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got the files to the San Disk 8gb drive by using Rufus to retrieve the files from a burned dvd and install them on the thumb drive. Just copying and paste or "move to" would not work...I had to do it on a Windows machine and go back to the Eee machine and force the boot from cmos. By the way, I love the simplicity and functionality of the 17 xfec desktop, and guess what, there is no constant sending and receiving data going on in the background....die Microsoft....die !

Return to “Beginner Questions”