Linux MInt17 Infection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Linux MInt17 Infection

Post by pcpunk »

I visited a site that had a poor web reputation by avast while in LMM17. When I went to shut-down laptop I could not do so and had to force a shutdown. At first I logged onto website by accident, but after seeing that it was such well informed site I thought I would be ok while in Linux. I was thinking maybe this reputation was old as all the info there and the quality of the site was spot on.

I then went off-line and ran rkhunter and chkrootkit, one of them found a infection and both found "Threats" and something to do with Java.

Today I ran ClamTK and Quarantined eight items, all of which were labeled as PUP's.

Can someone help with this as I have no a clue what to do.

Laptop still works but start-up is a little different than before, the little swirling icon does not come up as it did before right away. Not much difference but noticeable to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
WharfRat

Re: Linux MInt17 Infection

Post by WharfRat »

Before you do anything else, open a terminal and

Code: Select all

sudo adduser someone
Use an actual name for someone and a simple password then logout and back in as the as the new user and see it's OK

Your system should not have been affected, it's most likely just the mozilla folder.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks for the reply but I think it was a false positive as rkhunter shows no such rootkit. I also did a ClamTK scan and it also showed nothing but some PUP's. Sorry I did not get back quickly but my health is not good right now. All is good for now but I will be back to this thread soon.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
SpookyWatcher
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SpookyWatcher »

was it GLP?? Just curious because I only visit on iPad there...and was actually wondering if it could hurt my Linux Mint 17 KDE machine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”