support for non pae cpus in Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

support for non pae cpus in Mint

Postby arclite on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:22 am

I am desperate to solve a problem in recognising support for non pae cpus in Mint. I have downloaded Mint 13 LTS (Maya) because the CPU on my friend's laptop is, as you've guessed already, a non pae cpu.

Trying to find a reference to this simple and singular topic is impossible because the search parameters return single terms like "support" and reject a search of "+non +pae +cpu" because the terms are too common!

It appears that a phrase such as +"non pae cpu support" is not supported by your BB search system.

If I have missed something, then my apology immediate. Else please rectify this glaring gap in functional usability of the vast contribution by all the interests of the Mint community in this Bulletin Board.
arclite
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: support for non pae cpus in Mint

Postby Pierre on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:09 am

It appears that a phrase such as +"non pae cpu support" is not supported by your BB search system

the search function of the forum - is not reliable
- it is suggested that you use a search engine, such as 'Google' - to search the site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWqvALqAsE

in trying to install it I discovered the B43 Broadcom wireless chipset issue was also present causing a Kernel PANIC

- did that error occur, when testing the live environment?.
- did the live environment - otherwise work successfully?.
Pierre
Level 7
Level 7

Re: support for non pae cpus in Mint

Postby arclite on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 am

Er, the live session environment running from the DVD did not light up the screen at all. With nothing to show where the boot process had progressed to I pressed [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] and the XFCE log in screen appeared! The rest of the session was working faultlessly. Next I installed Mint 13 from the DVD. But at boot there is nothing showing, again, no error messages. So I used Gparted to look at what was there. I mounted the newly installed volume but I could find no guide to writing the necessary b43.blacklist statement into the Grub.cfg file. The file warns not to edit the file directly unfortunately since all this is an emergency.

The guides explain starting the installation and interrupting the boot process with the shift key. I have documented the sequence of problems from this point in my next email "http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=176471" if you have any more suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thank you for your solution to the board search issue. I was surprised by its presence. I don't think I've seen it elsewhere. Finding solutions is an art based on tweaking fairly predictable search arguments to filter down to a reasonable range of content from well meaning contributors. You put it more simply, "Use Google".
arclite
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions