[Solved] Dual Boot Linux disappeared.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paperclip

[Solved] Dual Boot Linux disappeared.

Post by paperclip »

After installing Cin 17 on my new laptop and partitioning the hard drive correctly (20GB ext4 root, 8GB linux swap and 100GB ext4 space), I had 800GB of NTFS space left for a Windows 8 dual boot.

But after installing Windows 8 my PC automatically boots into the Microsoft OS without giving me an option to dual boot anywhere in the BIOS.

All I see is my BIOS options followed by:

Code: Select all

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v14.4.5
Copyright (C) 2000-2010 Broadcom Corporation 
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
All rights reserved.
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
_
...and then the Windows logo shows up.

The BIOS boot options don't show me any other HDD drives.

Where did my Cinnamon go? :(

Edit: Windows 8 64 bit, Linux Cin 17 64 bit - Acer 5750g

InsydelH20
System BIOS version: v1.11
VGA BIOS Version: Intel V2098
VGA BIOS Version (PEG) nVidia N12P-GS VER70.08.3C.00.19
Intel Core i5-2410M processor
4 GB RAM and 1TB SSHD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 1GB graphics card
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Dual Boot Linux disappeared.

Post by gtsfer »

Installing Windows will sadly take over the boot records for other installed operating systems, including the Grub menu that let's you chose what OS to boot from. For that reason, it's suggested that you install your Microsoft OS first. Then you would install Linux if you're looking for a dual-boot setup.

Windows is notorious for "taking over" bootup of machines. There are even some posts that a recent W8.1 update does this. Since you did a W8 install I don't know if there's any way to recover from this short of re-installing C17.

Maybe someone else will have a method to try and get Cinnamon back. But from what I know, once you install Windows, your other OS is a goner. I could be wrong here.

:(
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

that's because under w8 you are NOT rebooting, you are bringing it back from hibernation. Windows before this the shutdown did a new cold boot, but not so in w8. Now if you want a completely clean boot you need to use the reset button instead.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

paperclip wrote:After installing Cin 17 on my new laptop and partitioning the hard drive correctly (20GB ext4 root, 8GB linux swap and 100GB ext4 space), I had 800GB of NTFS space left for a Windows 8 dual boot.
When you installed Windows, are you sure that it installed to the 800GB free space, or did it take over the whole hard drive and wipe out Mint? If Mint is still there, the boot can be fixed.

Boot your live Mint DVD and open a terminal. Post the result of this command:
- click here on Select All, and copy the command -

sudo parted -l && sudo os-prober
You can use Firefox on the live Mint DVD to post to the forum.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Windows is notorious for "taking over" bootup of machines. There are even some posts that a recent W8.1 update does this
Not just the recent updates. This is exactly what happened on my dual boot Win8/Mint16 laptop maybe two or even three months ago.
Had been selecting Mint from grub for a few weeks and one day just decided to look at Win8.1---and while there I unwittingly chose to download and install win updates.
poof. :?
I have just been working around this by selecting Mint in the bios options (if that is the proper designation for machines with UEFI) and only because I need to get Qiana installed.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Krills

Post by Krills »

Win 8 is reputed to "take over" everything. So, apparently it's best to install Linux after Windows is already installed. Possibly you could re install Mint. A new install of Mint should take care of booting, since it should install and configure grub to make both systems available. Pain in the neck? Yes. But then you should be really done with the foolishness with booting.
paperclip

Post by paperclip »

For future reference.

Install Mint after installing WIndows. WIndows 8.1 has no good manors and completely ignores previous Linux installations and you may need to reinstall it.

Thanks for your help guys.

Solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”