Install Elyssa or wait for Felicia?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Install Elyssa or wait for Felicia?

Post by varaonaid »

Hey there!

After using Mint KDE awhile back before it became a CE version, I have used Ubuntu. I've since decided to come back to Mint. I'll be doing a clean install.

Here's my question. I've been really disappointed with Hardy Heron. Lots of problems, and most everything broke when I upgraded to it (lost wi-fi, mp3/media playback, completely lost Open Office, just for starters). So, I'm a little concerned about the codebase. Should I go ahead and install Elyssa and then use the upcoming upgrade tool to move to Felicia? Or at this point, would you simply wait for Felicia and do a clean install of it?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!!

Thanks in advance.
Rae
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
knuckles

Re: Install Elyssa or wait for Felicia?

Post by knuckles »

It depend on you. It is not a big time to wait for Felicia (normaly next month).

For a stable system a clean install is every time better, BUT if you will do something good for MINT, you install now Elyssa and use after (when it comes) the upgrade function, if it woks flawless, it would be very nice and it don't change anything for you.

If you find bug's, you can report them, and the Problems will surely be solved for Mint7 or for a second Felicia version!!

I personally will use/test the upgrade function. If it don't work, a clean install is made very fast (30min with all my personal tweak's, and add soft)
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by varaonaid »

Hmm, tough choice. I really want to go ahead and switch but would prefer the clean install on Felicia. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the reply!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

How big is the UPgrage from Elyssa, if NOT doing a Clean Install?.

P.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

Why not install Elyssa then make a clean install of Felicia when it comes out? You can keep your home directory on a separate partition or even burn it to a DVD so that you can keep all of your personal files. That way, you can have a clean install of Felicia, but you don't have to lose much of anything that you would be currently using in Elyssa.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

The only problem I've encountered is trying to get NFS file sharing to work. That apparently is a Hardy bug but I haven't run across any others.

Return to “Beginner Questions”