Microsoft 3 Button Intellimouse Mapping

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OutCast

Microsoft 3 Button Intellimouse Mapping

Post by OutCast »

Hello All,
I'm a new user to Linux Mint (about a month now), and I have a question about button mapping.
Could someone please show me how to turn my "wheel button" into the backspace key? If that isn't possible what
would be the correct mapping I would need to add to my xorg.conf to get firefox to recognize it as the back button?

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
EndSection
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Microsoft 3 Button Intellimouse Mapping

Post by Husse »

You exchange "Emulate3Buttons" with a set of numbers - I don't have those for just three buttons, for five I could have told you what to use
When I answer you end up among my posts so I can come back to you (if not - just bump I'm answering many questions today)
I prefer the wheel to open tabs....
I don't think FF has the option to use middleclick as the back button
However search for middleclick as the back button on the net and in the FF forums
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4
OutCast

Post by OutCast »

Thanks for the reply. I think from what I've looked into, that a 3 button mouse with a wheel is actually 5 buttons? The wheel up/down is considered a button for each action? Anyways, the wheel works just the way I want it to. I will look into the middleclick back you suggested on the ff forums. I would prefer having the key "backspace" assigned to it instead though. I could use it in places other then my web browser, but from all the searching I've done so far, it doesn't appear to be an option yet?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Damn
I did not realize you had three buttons and a wheel...
You read what you think is written - not what really is written, this is a fact....
Yes that's a five button mouse
There are quite a few answers in the forum, from me and others
In one of the answers from others I found this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto
OutCast

Post by OutCast »

Hello Husse,
Thanks for the reply. I looked at all that information before, and can make no sense of any of it. :( It just shows someone how to get all the buttons working, and your supposed to experiment with all those variations.

If someone has successfully turned their middle "wheel button" into the "back key" please let me know what you put into your .conf file to get it to work? :)

One more thing, the middle button does actually do something as it is now. It opens a link in a new tab.
Husse

Post by Husse »

the middle button does actually do something as it is now. It opens a link in a new tab.
That's normally performed when you click the scroll wheel - can you click it? If not I don't think it's "five button"
There are quite a few solutions in the forum to this type of problem
You may be better of searching in Mint from the start page than in the forum - the search has some stupid ideas
Search for xorg.conf and button(s) I have written dozens of answers as far as I can remember and there must be others ...
My mouse is a two button + scrollwheel Logitech - can't check if what I find is useful
OutCast

Post by OutCast »

There are quite a few solutions in the forum to this type of problem
I'm sorry Husse, but I disagree

I can click the wheel button. :) I've searched for a direct answer for what I want for over two weeks now. I'm not one to go posting questions that are easily answered. I've yet to come up with the answer to this. This is the reason I'm asking for help. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :)
Of course there are not hundreds of such posts, but still - as far as I remember I've answered more than a handful similar questions
The problem is to find them
I went to the start page and searched for
five buttons xorg.conf
in Linux Mint and got 65 hits
Most of them will probably be about graphics problems, but go through them
The first hit is about a similar problem
(the search in the forum is not all that good)
OutCast

Post by OutCast »

Husse wrote:I don't have those for just three buttons, for five I could have told you what to use

Husse, I know you're a very helpful person, I've seen it on many other posts.. I'd like to keep this thread open for someone to answer without telling me to search for it. I've said before, I've searched like crazy, I'm not just talking about linuxmint.com and haven't found a direct answer to what i'm looking for. I'm looking for exactly what you said. I would like someone (if they could) please post the fix for this, if you've found one? :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

In the french ubuntu forums I found a suggestion to exchange Emulate3Buttons with Emulate5Buttons
This for a Microsoft Intellimouse 5 boutons.
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=19409
But there were only three hits in google for Emulate5Buttons.....
OutCast

Post by OutCast »

I translated the french to english and there wasn't anything there about turning my middle wheel button into a back button for firefox, or the backspace key. Thanks though. :)

Has anyone here successfully turned their middle wheel button into the back button for firefox?
OutCast

Post by OutCast »

Reviving an old thread. Anyone out there know a way to make my middle mouse button function as a Backspace Key?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

gpointing-device-settings is available in the package manager.
OutCast

Post by OutCast »

The only option for gpointing-device-settings is "Middle Button Emulation"/timeout Short and Long and "Wheel Emulation"/timeout Short and Long/interia Short and Long. There is no option for setting my middle mouse button to use the backspace key.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I haven't done this myself, but have you had a look here?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto

Return to “Beginner Questions”