Multiple Issues - going back to xp

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Multiple Issues - going back to xp

Postby warlock554 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:30 am

I've just installed Linux Mint Elyssa and have some issues:
1) Sound - It works, but I hear some constant noise/ crackling in the background.
2) Unable to mount flash drives. I get a 'Invalid mount option when attempting to mount' error.
3) Choppy scrolling with Opera/Firefox.
warlock554
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Multiple Issues

Postby Husse on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Welcome to Mint
Please tell us which edition (main, 64bit, KDE.....)
Please tell us which hardware you have - run lspci in a terminal to find out
Question 1 is a hard nut to crackle - sorry crack :) (couldn't help it :))
Question 3 leads us to the question do you have the right drivers for your video card?
Question 2 Flash drives should mount when you connect them (USB - right?) but if you try to mount them with the mount command without proper preparations you get that error (you have to mount any drive in an existing folder unless you use pmount which is what is used for removable drives)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Multiple Issues [Resolved]

Postby warlock554 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:34 am

I tried installing the Ati drivers for my card, but it failed to recognize the card after rebooting. But it doesn't matter now that I'm going back to XP.
warlock554
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Multiple Issues - going back to xp

Postby Cambo105 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:51 pm

warlock554 wrote:I tried installing the Ati drivers for my card, but it failed to recognize the card after rebooting. But it doesn't matter now that I'm going back to XP.

If you are not going to even accept help, and are going back to Windows regardless of the help any one offers, why did you bother to post?

Good day to you sir.
Keep your stick on the ice.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby badmotor on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Cambo105 wrote:
warlock554 wrote:I tried installing the Ati drivers for my card, but it failed to recognize the card after rebooting. But it doesn't matter now that I'm going back to XP.

If you are not going to even accept help, and are going back to Windows regardless of the help any one offers, why did you bother to post?

Good day to you sir.

+1
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby paourismp on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:43 am

warlock554 wrote:I've just installed Linux Mint Elyssa and have some issues:
1) Sound - It works, but I hear some constant noise/ crackling in the background.
2) Unable to mount flash drives. I get a 'Invalid mount option when attempting to mount' error.

Hi, i am having the same sound problem, i am using the elyssa kde edition, my system is a gigabyte SLI GA-M750SLI-DS4 (NVIDIA nForce 750a), amd athon 64 x2 6400+, evga 8800 gt, geil black dragon 2x1 gb 800mhz cl5, winfast dtv2000h
paourismp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby badmotor on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 pm

paourismp wrote:

Hi, i am having the same sound problem, i am using the elyssa kde edition, my system is a gigabyte SLI GA-M750SLI-DS4 (NVIDIA nForce 750a), amd athon 64 x2 6400+, evga 8800 gt, geil black dragon 2x1 gb 800mhz cl5, winfast dtv2000h

paourismp: my advice is you might want to start your own thread about this problem so that someone like Husse will spot it and try to help you out.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby paourismp on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 pm

badmotor wrote:
paourismp wrote:

paourismp: my advice is you might want to start your own thread about this problem so that someone like Husse will spot it and try to help you out.

OK i've posted with subject "problem with sound" at KDE CE area.
thanks
paourismp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:15 am

paourismp wrote:

OK i've posted with subject "problem with sound" at KDE CE area.
thanks

I posted in the kde forums to try to help you on this.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ronnoc on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:58 am

On the last item (sorry I can't help with the first 2...) there is an add on for Firefox that allows smooth scrolling. If you go to the add ons page I'm sure you will find it.
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions