Latest Kernel?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psych1610

Latest Kernel?

Post by psych1610 »

Hi I'm just wondering what the latest kernel is for Mint? I'm using 2.6.24-19 and I see the latest kernel is 2.6.27-2, so I was just wondering where Mint is at in this. The latest one I can find is the one I'm using.

Also, is it recommended to compile my own kernel to get an updated one? How difficult is it to apply all the patches that I'm sure Mint applies (and where can I find them?)

Reason is I can connect to wpa-2 excrypted connection at my house but not at work using Intel Wireless driver ipw3945 I think. I understand this particular driver was still beta in this kernel and might be improved in a later one.

Thanks for any assistance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lantesh

Re: Latest Kernel?

Post by Lantesh »

I used the Ubuntu Intrepid repos to install 2.6.27-7. You don't need to compile anything if you use the repos. Just use Synaptic to search linux-image to find the kernel, linux-headers to find the headers, and linux-restricted-modules to find those. Be sure to install all three parts and you are good to go. Also don't forget to disable the Intrepid repos after you are done, because if you run MintUpdate with them still enabled you your system will get hosed.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Thanks! Maybe I ought to check that out.

Certainly is a bit of a version change.

Is there any harm in using the intrepid kernel? Does the team here apply any neat patches or do some other wizardry or have we just not put the latest kernels into the repos here since they're so easy to get elsewhere?
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Lantesh, any idea what repositories I need to enable? I tried a few and I always get 404 errors when I reload them...

thanks
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

These are the ones you need. Like I said though don't leave them enabled, or the next time you run MintUpdate your system is going to get messed up. Also if you find you aren't sure what you are looking at in Synaptic then don't do it.

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-security main restricted universe multiverse
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Hey thanks, didn't work as planned but I fixed it all anyway :)

Thanks a lot.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Hey no problem. I'm glad to help when I can. Don't forget to re-enable those repos every so often, and use Synaptic to manually upgrade just the kernel packages when updates are available. I should stress you want to mark those packages only when you do it. Then disable the repos again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”