Problem With Text Size

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roders

Problem With Text Size

Post by roders »

Hi All,
I have tried out MINT 13 MATE as a first venture with Linux as a replacement for XP Pro.
It all looked very promising at first when running it from the USB drive so I installed it and ran the update
sequence to complete the updating processes.
I then started to tweak things to my liking but came to total stop when trying to increase the text size
for the writing on the main "pages". There is a built in adjuster for varying the text size elsewhere such as headers
but nothing for what I need.
From reading other posts on the net this is a common problem that seems to have no cure at present and renders the OS unusable for me.
Programing the letters so that they are only 0.050" tall is inexplicable and certainly makes them the smallest I have ever come across
without there being an adjuster built in to the software.
I fully realise that to have produced the OS even as it stands is a remarkable achievment but to leave such a basic requirement
like this must count as a major "ricket".
I have had to uninstall the OS as it is unfortunatly unusable by me as it is and I consider that replies such as "sit closer" and "buy a bigger monitor"
that I have read elsewhere in response to questions by others are beneath contempt. I trust that there will be more intelligent suggestions here.
My main question therefore at this point in time is, are there any other variants of the OS that have a text size that is more "normal" or that
have a method of adjusting the text size in the main part of the screen built in?
Please help because unless something can be suggested It seems that I will be prevented from using any Linux distributions.
Rgds.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Problem With Text Size

Post by austin.texas »

In Mate -
Right-click on the desktop > Change desktop background > Fonts
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1395

Alternatively, a lower resolution on the monitor might work for you.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
roders

Re: Problem With Text Size

Post by roders »

austin.texas wrote:In Mate -
Right-click on the desktop > Change desktop background > Fonts
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1395

Alternatively, a lower resolution on the monitor might work for you.
Hi A.T
Thanks for your reply and the heads up.

Return to “Beginner Questions”