ipod touch

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ipod touch

Postby rogerm on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:05 pm

OK, I'm a newbie, I am proud to be away from the Gates Monster, but I have a problem. I got a new iPod Touch as a gift, it will only load from iTunes 8.0 which will only run in the Windows environment. What is the simplest way to accomplish this? I installed VMServer, then installed XP Pro, but it does not recognize my USB ports. It sees the USB Controllers, but not attached devices. I either need help with the recognition of my USB's or I need to be told how to partition the hard drive and install XP as a dual boot system. I prefer option 1, but if I can't then option 2 becomes the only viable alternative, unless someone can help me with another option (remembering I am a newbie)

Can someone help me with this in layman's terms?
Roger

Core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz, 4 gig 1066 Ram, 500 gig hard drive, DVD burner. I have the hardware, need some help please.

Thanks
rogerm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ipod touch

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:57 am

What about Wine?
There is also Virtualbox, but then you have to get the version that supports USB
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rmuccioli on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 pm

rather then try to us a windows program. Try Rhythmbox which is installed in Mint or soungbird on the getdep sight http://www.getdeb.net/
Linux rules! Vista you know?
rmuccioli
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rogerm on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:50 pm

I have Rhythmbox, but it won;t work with the Touch. They encrypted touch so that you have to have the newest iTunes 8.0 to communicate with it. I need to get my XP in VMServer to recognize my USB's, then I am good to go. Surely one of the guru's on this site has run up against this before. HELP!!! Roger
rogerm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:19 am

Seems that iTunes 8 is a no go at the moment - sorry
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions