Min 17 crash after installing a program

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcoE

Min 17 crash after installing a program

Post by marcoE »

Hello!
I was installaed a .deb with gdebi when suddently it stopped the instalation. I've tried stop the process, but I wasn't able to find with ps x the process.
Then, I use "force quit" without sucess. I realized the only solution was the reboot.

After the reboot mint crashes. It doesn't appear the cinnamon login window and I'm not able to switch between terminals with ctrl+f1 ctrl+f2, etc.
How can I do to fix it? I have no idea what it is happening.

My Mint is 17 qiana cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Min 17 crash after installing a program

Post by Mute Ant »

''I'm not able to switch between terminals with ctrl+f1 ctrl+f2'' It's [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1..F6], that might help. If it doesn't help, your kernel+initrd+GNU system is damaged beyond economical repair. What was the .deb package? Do you trust the source? A single incompetent or malicious .deb can trash any linux system.
marcoE

Post by marcoE »

https://meocloud.pt/downloads

It is a trusty service, but it might have a bad .deb .
How can I solve it?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Well I would freeze the installation you have for now. Don't delete anything, just leave it, see if anyone else recognises the symptoms. Boot Live-DVD and try to get this wild application to install there. Take notes. They don't have an English button :? I can't read Portuguese :( so it will be at least a day before I can boot a Mint17 and try it out.
marcoE

Post by marcoE »

Mute Ant wrote:Well I would freeze the installation you have for now. Don't delete anything, just leave it, see if anyone else recognises the symptoms. Boot Live-DVD and try to get this wild application to install there. Take notes. They don't have an English button :? I can't read Portuguese :( so it will be at least a day before I can boot a Mint17 and try it out.
I can help with the portuguese, just tell what you need.
Is there a way to figure out how can I do? I have dual-boot with windows.
I don't want del my mint. I have lots of configurations already done. I setup all of my development environments. It is a lot of time to do all of this again :\
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

I duplicated my Mint17Mate64 and tried...
  • meocloud-gui-latest_amd64_beta.deb
...using gdebi. There's a few ''compiler'' dependencies, and it adds http://repos.sapo.pt/deb to my Software Sources, so it's not an inert guest, it wants to fetch code from the 'net and compile it to match your machine.

Mint survived the installation process however, there's no sneaky overwriting of existing system files during install.

Recovery? I would do a Something Else reinstall without formatting.
marcoE

Post by marcoE »

Mute Ant wrote:I duplicated my Mint17Mate64 and tried...
  • meocloud-gui-latest_amd64_beta.deb
...using gdebi. There's a few ''compiler'' dependencies, and it adds http://repos.sapo.pt/deb to my Software Sources, so it's not an inert guest, it wants to fetch code from the 'net and compile it to match your machine.

Mint survived the installation process however, there's no sneaky overwriting of existing system files during install.

Recovery? I would do a Something Else reinstall without formatting.

Is it safe? Probably I'll lost all of my "programs"
marcoE

Post by marcoE »

I look more carefully to my installation.
When the boot is done, it try start the cinmmaon logon window, but it won't.
it prompts a mensage "done" at screen. if i press the power button appears the mint logo and computer shutdown.

Is there a way to save the instalation?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

The damage probably wasn't caused by the .deb package, which only adds files. Your install seems to have lost something important during the reboot...maybe an active file is now zero-length...maybe the disk drive has badly-remapped a sector...maybe almost anything. It's not quite as bad as formatting over Windows, but it's close. Use a Live-Session DVD to duplicate your personal work outside the machine. Then get some confidence that the hardware is reliable.

Return to “Beginner Questions”