I just installed Mint ... now what?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I just installed Mint ... now what?

Postby PBarmann on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:11 pm

This is my first experience with any type of Linux so I apologize for my complete lack of awareness, but thanks for taking time to check this post.

I recently received a Live CD for Linux Mint Elyssa and everything works great with it. After installing and attempting to boot from the hard drive, things get fouled up. The program loads and starts OK; the same desktop that I see on the Live CD comes up. However, there are no desktop icons, no taskbars, menus, etc. It's just a blank desktop, essentially. I let it sit for several minutes but no login screen ever appears. I cant get any sort of response from the program through keyboard shortcuts, right clicking the mouse, etc.

In searching these forums, I have read some posts that sound somewhat similar to my situation but the subsequent advice was over my head and I had no idea how to act on the advice offered.

Thank you for any help.

Here is my system info:
Everex StepNote 4103M

Intel Celeron M CPU 410 @ 1.46ghz, 2 gb RAM, DVD RW
Chipset: VIA 82C364 rev 0
BIOS: Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
PBarmann
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I just installed Mint ... now what?

Postby klemperal on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Sounds like it might be a problem with X. Try restarting X holding down Ctrl and Alt and then (while Ctrl and Alt are being held down) pushing Backspace.
klemperal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xnostradamusx on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:51 am

and also as you mention you received the distro if you can download the linux mint main here in the website cause i myself has not experienced any issues so far
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Rokurosv on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:32 am

Well if it was given to you, did the person that gave it to you experienced any problems? If you downloaded it via direct download, did you do the md5checksum? I installed it on a friend's laptop and it experienced some issues with X too, I reinstaled and it worked fine.
Rokurosv
Level 1
Level 1

Postby PBarmann on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:20 pm

I ditched the disc I had received in the mail and opted for the direct download from this site ... burned an ISO image, etc. After install, the disc ejected and I booted from the hard drive. Once Mint had loaded, I was left looking at the same plain desktop as before ... no menus, icons, no login screen, etc. The control + alt + backspace function worked to refresh but showed no changes.

The mouse pointer disappears to the right and to the bottom of the screen, almost as if there is more to see but the screen is not formatted correctly to my laptop monitor. I really am not sure here.

Rokurosv wrote:Well if it was given to you, did the person that gave it to you experienced any problems? If you downloaded it via direct download, did you do the md5checksum? I installed it on a friend's laptop and it experienced some issues with X too, I reinstaled and it worked fine.

What is the md5checksum?
PBarmann
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Death Dream on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm

PBarmann wrote:What is the md5checksum?

After you download a file that is pretty big size you usually want to check it against a md5 file. Basically what it does is makers sure you have every part of the file correctly, you might have a corrupted file somewhere. I don't think this is the case since you had one in the mail and a direct downloaded one.

~Death Dream~
Death Dream
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bobpur on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:25 pm

I agree with Death Dream, also, what might your burn rate be? When you burn the ISO to a cd it should be in the 4X-8X range. I understand that faster burns will produce the kinds of problems you're having (sometimes) a slower burn is a more accurately burned cd.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions