Installling Linux Mint and uninstalling Ubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installling Linux Mint and uninstalling Ubuntu

Postby thex707 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Hey,

well i am not new to the linux/gnome thing, but i decided i want to have Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu. I like ubuntu but i feel i want this one instead cause it seems much simpler than ubuntu. So to the point, I want to replace ubuntu and put linux mint on the SAME partition as ubuntu ( I also have Windows XP on another parition which I still need). Can I just install it from the Live CD and put it on the same partition? Though another concern I have is that what if the GRUB bootloader doesn't show windows XP if that were to happen what could I do? there is really nothing for me to back up on ubuntu so no worries aboutthat. thanks in advanced!!
thex707
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installling Linux Mint and uninstalling Ubuntu

Postby Polarfox on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:22 am

I recommend you do it as follows:

1) Start up Windows
2) Right click on "My Computer" then select "Manage"
3) Format the Ubuntu Partition from there
4) Install Mint onto the formatted partition

5) If something goes wrong, and you can not start Windows anymore because your GRUB is fooked, you can alway boot from the Windows CD and select the repair console

In the repair console use the "fixmbr" command to restore the Windows bootrecord. ( You need the password for the Administrator account in order to do so )
Polarfox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:42 am

I don't see any need to reformat the partition in Windows. Just tell the installer to use the Ubuntu partition and it will be reformatted during the install process. Grub will add a Windows entry to it's menu during the install process.

As with anything major, back up your data before proceeding :)
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Polarfox on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:19 am

I had problems once when trying to simply overwite an existing distro with another one. Only worked after I formatted the HD.
Polarfox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Polarfox wrote:I had problems once when trying to simply overwite an existing distro with another one. Only worked after I formatted the HD.

In that case I would recommend using the partition manager(gparted)on the Live CD before proceeding.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby thex707 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 pm

thanks for the replies. but i dont have a Windows XP Cd i just have a 5-disc computer recovery (HP). is there another way?
thex707
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thex707 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:52 pm

no need to reply anymore i am just gonna do a fresh install....
thex707
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions