Partition USB bootdisk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Partition USB bootdisk

Post by Bryan88 »

Apologies if this has been dealt with already. After much trying and frustration I finally got UNetbootin to make me a boot disk that worked for my laptop and I now have a stable, working LM 13 installation on it. However, I used a 16gb usb which seems a bit of a waste. From researching on the net it seems that it's possible to repartition the drive and still keep the portion of it that is a rescue disk. Is it that simple, and is there anything I need to be aware of? Apparently Windows will only recognise the first partition, so I will have to move the boot partition over? I hope I'm making sense. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Partition USB bootdisk

Post by austin.texas »

It does seem like a waste of space.
I don't know about a Unetbootin USB, but the simplest way to create and use a USB drive with no wasted space is to download and burn the Rescatux CD.
The Rescatux CD is capable of booting an .iso from your hard drive or USB drive, without having to burn a DVD or create a bootable USB. All you have to do is place the .iso file in a folder named /boot-isos . And, the partition can be as big or small as you wish, and any format - ext2, fat32, etc.
Instructions are here - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1850
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Partition USB bootdisk

Post by Bryan88 »

Thanks for the reply. I am rather hoping to keep this disk as it is (the live cd bit that is). I still have the ISO on my desktop so I could always make another one with UNetbootin, but it seemed a bit hit and miss, this particular one worked perfectly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”