Few problems, Wine apps not being removed, YouTube Flash etc

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Few problems, Wine apps not being removed, YouTube Flash etc

Postby gibbs1984 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi all,

Hope you can help, been using Linux Mint for a little while, well on and off, decided to give it a proper go now and nearly everything is working fine, can even play my favourite games but I have a few little problems, nothing major, to start with:

I have Wine installed, works fine but when I try to uninstall a program via the menu, right click > uninstall another pop up box appears, I click remove but nothing happens, everything stays in the Wine folder in the menu, I've tried uninstalling through the Terminal but that doesn't work either, so I go to the C: drive and delete all the files from there, now it's deleted but the program still shows up in the Wine menu, not a major problem but a bit annoying as I'm trying to clean my system and only install things I want.

Flash doesn't seem to work in YouTube, at the moment I'm getting just a white screen with sound, yesterday I got both sound and a picture but it was very jolty, not sure what I've changed since yesterday :D, after doing a bit of reading on here I tried turning off Compiz but that doesn't help.

Swear I had a couple of other miner issues but they're obviously not that important cause I can't remember them :D

Any help appreciated.

Steve
Linux Mint 15 Nadia (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Few problems, Wine apps not being removed, YouTube Flash etc

Postby gibbs1984 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm

Oh yeah, just remembered, when using the default Bluetooth device it works fine with sending files from my computer to my phone but trying it the other way way it asks for a password key, which I enter the same in both the phone and the computer but my phone also says it failed to send, retry etc but it never works, the connection must be there because it works fine the other way round.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby locutus on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:50 pm

For the bluetooth, open synaptic and search for "gnome-user-share. It's mostly for receiving files - which is what you want.

For Flash I have "flashplugin-nonfree" installed, also from synaptic. I don't know what repositories you hane enabled, on my system they're all enabled.

And for Wine, it sounds like you'll have to edit the menu manually. Right-click Elyssa, and second menu item is Edit Menu. Just find what you're looking for and delete it.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gibbs1984 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:14 pm

locutus wrote:For the bluetooth, open synaptic and search for "gnome-user-share. It's mostly for receiving files - which is what you want.

For Flash I have "flashplugin-nonfree" installed, also from synaptic. I don't know what repositories you hane enabled, on my system they're all enabled.

And for Wine, it sounds like you'll have to edit the menu manually. Right-click Elyssa, and second menu item is Edit Menu. Just find what you're looking for and delete it.

Hi, thanks for your response.

The Bluetooth plugin doesn't work, still can't send files from my phone to my computer, doesn't even find the computer now to put a key code in, I've got pretty much all the options selected in the Preferences.

The YouTube plugin didn't work either, it's still really jolty, I get a picture and sound but they stop and start every couple of seconds (not just YouTube).

Thanks for the Wine tip, they no longer show up in the Menu, just wondering (not that it really matters) but are they completely removed from the computer still? Is that just an option to see what you did have?

On a side note, is there a sort of System Restore, I had Football Manager installed but accidentally uninstalled it but can't remember how I did it before, searched online but can't find an easy way, might have to spend some time on it.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions