Change Bootscreen help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Change Bootscreen help

Postby IceCrystal on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:56 am

Hi
I was thinking if there is a way to change the bootscreen on Linux Mint Elyssa and how to do it?
Not the log-in screen but the screen that shows up when i boot the system.
IceCrystal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Change Bootscreen help

Postby rbanavara on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:23 pm

I dont have the exact answer, but here are some pointers. The boot imaage is a cpio archive & bzipped (though the file is renamed to have some other name witout the .bz or other extension). This is specified in the menu.lst in the /boot/grub dir (it will contian the location of this file as well).

Once you unzip it & extract, you can replace the impage with your own image & cpio & bzip it back. Probably you may re build your ramfs (not sure on this).
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Change Bootscreen help

Postby IceCrystal on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:02 am

rbanavara wrote:I dont have the exact answer, but here are some pointers. The boot imaage is a cpio archive & bzipped (though the file is renamed to have some other name witout the .bz or other extension). This is specified in the menu.lst in the /boot/grub dir (it will contian the location of this file as well).

Once you unzip it & extract, you can replace the impage with your own image & cpio & bzip it back. Probably you may re build your ramfs (not sure on this).

That sounded like it was advanced :) Ok. Is there any software that can do it for me? Or do i have to do it by myself?
I have also one more question about mintUpdate, what happens if i check the "Include dist-upgrade package" what is that? What does it do?
Sorry i dont know so much about Mint, i used Ubuntu before :D
IceCrystal
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions