Get Rid Of Vista Partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Get Rid Of Vista Partition

Postby davidv00 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:20 am

Hi there,

After some time using Linux Mint, I had decided to remove Vista from one of my dual boot machine. Below is the partition currently resides in the single hard drive.

My questions:

1. How can I resize mount point "/" to the existing /dev/sda1 partition which currently occupied by Vista? (of course swap have to be at the very beginning of the disk) Will the resizing will cause system problems?

2. How do I remove the startup entry in GRUB menu to remove Vista from the selection?

3. There is this VISTA icon in the COMPUTER on the desktop, how can I remove that as well?

Many thanks

David
davidv00
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Get Rid Of Vista Partition

Postby Jammeramd64x2 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:56 am

Hi, and welcome to Linux Mint...
I'm new to Mint ,so I hope I dont give you wrong or bad info...( Dont Worry, these forums are moderated by people who do know )
But here go's anyway , as a dual booter my self for years.. I've never actually had a situation quite like your's, but if you like, I can try to answer your post for you..
You do have a tough one on your hands, Generally when I set-up a dual boot of course it's;
1.hda1=ntfs, or sda1=ntfs, then the root linux is; hda2=(/)root, or sda2=(/)root, then hda3=/home or sda3=/home , then my swap is last. in this way it's real easy to format the ntfs partition later on...
Now I could be wrong but because of the way you have set it up, but I dont think you could can do what you want without re-formatting and reinstalling...But if you like you can try this out.. (Dont blame me if you LOSE your Data) Here go's...
1.Relocate your swap to sda4 by shrinking your home folder by the right amount using gparted, then creating your new swap space,(doulbe your ram is recomended). You might have to edit your fstab file, because you already have linux installed (there is a video for this (finding and copying and pasting your uuid # into your fstab file so linux can find your new swap file location) I will try to find that for you...and put it here=
http://www.category5.tv/content/view/134/11/
This video (epso52)will show you how to copy and paste the uuid# to the file /fstab.You might have to install (blk id ), and use that to find your uuid# of the new swap=sda4,( you can try to use the old one, but I dont think that will work)...
Next I would try to extend/resize your sda3=/dev/ext3, to the left, if thats possible...then resize your home partition but be careful with that.. YOU can LOSE all your DATA in your home partition....
I generally like to have between 6 and 10 gigs for root or system, and the rest for home partition, minus- the swap space at the end , I know you said swap first but you'll have a tough time doing that, with the swap right in the middle of your drive, if you can do that at all...
As for your vista icon, it should just be a link to the windows partition , but you can try just to delete it , or delete it as root...As for editing your menu.lst , go to /boot/grub/menu.lst and right click it and select edit as root, you may have to inter your password for that ,then it should open and scoll down and find the line towards the bottom that says( windows vista/bootloader) and delete it, just that line nothing else then click save and exit and your done..
Good luck and keep me posted as too your results Please... jammeramd64x2 :D
Jammeramd64x2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:10 pm

You're ALWAYS going to need storage for things (videos, music, important documents) that you don't want to lose when you upgrade to a new version of Mint (which requires reformatting your existing Mint partition). Use gparted to simply reformat the Vista drive to ext3 (or whatever else you may be using). Then you can keep all these things and they are safe from any accidental data corruption on your Mint partition.

You could also delete the partition using gparted, create a new one that's "Extended" in the now-empty space, then create "Logical" partitions inside the Extended partition. Then when a new version comes out and you want to try it first, install it and try it. If you like it, keep it; if you don't, delete it. You can also try out different flavors of Mint this way, like KDE, 64-bit, etc.

It doesn't matter what order the drives are in. Also note that if you set it up this way, the Logical partition numbers will start at 5 (as in sda5) regardless of whether you actually use up all of 1-4.

To edit your grub menu, open a Terminal and type in "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" without the quotation marks. This will open Gedit and the correct file, make the changes, and Save it before exiting.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Jammeramd64x2 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm Sorry,.. I always seem to make it harder than it really is.... Linux Mint5 ROCKS!! :roll: 8)
Jammeramd64x2
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions