problems with re-installing mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

problems with re-installing mint

Postby Paulgr on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:23 pm

A few hours ago, I gave up on finding a solution to my problems(getting flash installed and problems with audacity) so I decided to re-install mint. To my surprise when I got Mint re-installed nothing has changed. It's not like in windows when you re-install and you see everything back to the way it was on day one. I've tried changing the user name and password thinking that this would bring about a brand new mint, same problem, everything looks the same. Kind of like when you return from work and everything looks just like it did when you left for work. Does anyone know why this is happening? Are there any tutorials on how to re-install mint?
Paulgr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: problems with re-installing mint

Postby frank392 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:56 pm

did you make a clean installation?
do you have a dual boot with windows?
did you chose to use the entire partition?
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Postby BAD on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:43 am

Maybe he is working in a virtual machine and did not save a new snapshot
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Paulgr on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:03 am

I am not sure what you mean by clean installation. I basically used the install icon from the Mint Live cd and installed Mint the same way I did the first install.

Yes I have a dual boot with windows.

Yes I did choose to use the entire partition.

No I'm not using a virtual box.

Since, I've posted this question, I've wondered if this is some kind of security measure. That is, I've set up my Mint installation with a particular name and password and maybe until I cancel this install let's say in the terminal, Mint will not allow any changes to the computer I'm using until I cancel the account?
Does anyone agree with that?
Paulgr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BAD on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:54 am

If you want to install Mint so it is a new install you can use Windows to format the partition then reinstall Mint.
Or when you run the installer for Mint it should also run the partitioner where you can manually set up the / and swap partitions this will also require a format erasing the old Mint install.
Try these two options and let us know.
Do you really need Windows.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:56 am

Paulgr,

I don't know what problems you have been having in the past. I haven't been on the forum much lately. If you seem to be getting the same broken install you got before however, I would ask this question. Are you sure you are using a good install disk? Did you burn it s-l-o-w, 8x or less. Did you burn it in a RAW mode, usually listed as DAO or SAO. Did you check the md5 sum of the finished cd or dvd against the one published on the Mint download site?

If you answered no to any of the above questions I would suggest you re-download or at least re-burn your disk and try again. Make sure you backup any data you have in home you want to keep and check the format for the / and /home partition if you have a separate /home partition.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Paulgr on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:04 pm

I had no trouble with the install, but I will try some of the things you've suggested when I get a chance which may be as long as a week or two from now. I'll try some of the things you've listed and report my results. I'm only re installing because I can't get flash to work. Nothing seems to work. I just thought if I could get Mint back to the way it was when I first installed it(Flash was working then) then my Flash problem would be fixed.
Paulgr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 pm

It looks like your intent is to destroy all the Linux Mint that was installed on the computer (used the entire partition). My guess on this one is that BAD is correct. You must select (check the box) to "Format" the root partition, and the home partition if you don't want any configuration files (that means any mail, documents, downloads, data, or previously installed software to survive the install. Sounds like you have a couple of days to tell us exactly what you intend this re-install to do.

If you don't mind run the following commands in a terminal window and post the output of each.

Code: Select all
sudo blkid

Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Paulgr on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks, when I get a chance I'll try that.
Paulgr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions