problems with re-installing mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Re: problems with re-installing mint

Post by frank392 »

did you make a clean installation?
do you have a dual boot with windows?
did you chose to use the entire partition?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Maybe he is working in a virtual machine and did not save a new snapshot
BAD

Post by BAD »

If you want to install Mint so it is a new install you can use Windows to format the partition then reinstall Mint.
Or when you run the installer for Mint it should also run the partitioner where you can manually set up the / and swap partitions this will also require a format erasing the old Mint install.
Try these two options and let us know.
Do you really need Windows.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Paulgr,

I don't know what problems you have been having in the past. I haven't been on the forum much lately. If you seem to be getting the same broken install you got before however, I would ask this question. Are you sure you are using a good install disk? Did you burn it s-l-o-w, 8x or less. Did you burn it in a RAW mode, usually listed as DAO or SAO. Did you check the md5 sum of the finished cd or dvd against the one published on the Mint download site?

If you answered no to any of the above questions I would suggest you re-download or at least re-burn your disk and try again. Make sure you backup any data you have in home you want to keep and check the format for the / and /home partition if you have a separate /home partition.

Fred
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

It looks like your intent is to destroy all the Linux Mint that was installed on the computer (used the entire partition). My guess on this one is that BAD is correct. You must select (check the box) to "Format" the root partition, and the home partition if you don't want any configuration files (that means any mail, documents, downloads, data, or previously installed software to survive the install. Sounds like you have a couple of days to tell us exactly what you intend this re-install to do.

If you don't mind run the following commands in a terminal window and post the output of each.

Code: Select all

sudo blkid

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l

Return to “Beginner Questions”