Mint 17.1 freezes a few moments after bootup.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 17.1 freezes a few moments after bootup.

Post by andrewgouw »

I have been using my pc with linux mint 17.1 cinnamon for the past week and it did not give me any problems. However yesterday I installed Virtual Box 4.3 successfully. I was able to install windows 7/64bit in it and ms office 2003 .Used them fine no problems. I shut down the pc last night and when I turned it on this morning it boots up fine, logged-in ok and got to the desktop.
But after about 20 seconds or so it completely freezes. Mouse, keyboard does not work and I noticed that the clock also stopped. (I have turned on the seconds display). The only way to shut down is to press the on/off button for about 5 seconds. When I turn it on again it just does the exact same thing. I tried this about 4 or 5 times in a row.
Does anybody have any experience in solving this. I am a Linux user since 2 weeks ago, so very newbie.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-Michel-

Re: Mint 17.1 freezes a few moments after bootup.

Post by -Michel- »

I got random freezes too, i have a nvidia card. Only solution to get out of it CTRL + ALT + Backspace = login
jia_wei

Post by jia_wei »

+1

But i can move the mouse. It seems that I can still do things, but the screen is not refreshing.
I have Intel+NVidia, but normally working with the first one. I don't need performance.

Also restarting MDM service seems to work too (from tty1...)
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

I'm starting to see this, too, just in the past few days. My desktop loads, I get my wallpaper, and the panel is there. I can move my mouse and the keyboard apparently works. However, I have no icons on my desktop, Cairo-Dock does not load (startup app) nor does conky (also a startup). I can usually ctrl-alt-backspace and log back in. When I do everything is usually back to normal. Sometimes it takes another go.

I have an Nvidia card as well - using the 340.56 drivers.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

My normal fault-finder sequence is...
System Faulty. Is Linux still in control?
o Ctrl-Alt-F4 to get to a console login...if it works you can probably fix the problem by installing/removing/changing software in the system.
o Alt-SysRq-B to reboot the kernel....if it works you might still be able to fix the system, but a reinstallation is probably less hassle than mending Mint. It doesn't hurt to carry on and test the hardware though.
Hardware Faulty.
I use a Puppy Linux Precise CD-R to eliminate Mint faults, but the Live-DVD will do the same.
o Boot a Live-Session and run MEMTEST right through to 100% pass on all tests. This confirms a warm processor and warm RAM work without using any of the Linux system components.
o Check the disk drive for readability. This works on any system where the Linux has started, even if you are stuck in initramfs. The sudo may not be needed, depending on how you are logged in.

Code: Select all

sudo cat /dev/sda > /dev/zero
...assuming /dev/sda is the disk drive you boot from. Ctrl-C will stop the test early. You should not get any errors at all. It's a long test and boring with no progress feedback...

Code: Select all

sudo pv /dev/sda > /dev/zero
...does the same with a progress meter.
andrewgouw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andrewgouw »

The problem I have is when it freezes nothing works anymore, no mouse, no keyboard and like I said even the clock stops. Therefore I have just reinstalled Linux Mint 17.1 cinnamon Rebecca again. Consider it a learning practice since I am soooo new, but very eager to stay with Linux. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Beginner Questions”