32-bit / 64-bit multi-arch for Mint/Ubuntu/Debian?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

32-bit / 64-bit multi-arch for Mint/Ubuntu/Debian?

Postby wingnut2292 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:15 am

I'm currently running Mint 5 and I'm thinking about upgrading to the new x86-64 version of Mint 5. I remember reading about a feature a couple years ago online. Some x86-64 Distros had a feature called multi-arch(itecture), where the kernel, HAL, the package manager and API calls were 32-bit/64-bit aware - Using 64-bit applications when possible, but switching to 32-bit compatibility mode and using only 32-bit programs if a program couldn't be utilized in 64-bit.

I remember a symptom of this feature was that there were /Opt-32 and /Opt-64 directories as well as a /Usr/bin-32 and /Usr/bin-64. The result of this was that you could mix 32- and 64-bit applications with out fear of incapability. I remember at that time there was no multi-arch in Ubuntu because there was still programing that needed to be done on APT by Debian to make this work. Is that finished, still being worked on or did I come to misunderstand something?
wingnut2292
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 32-bit / 64-bit multi-arch for Mint/Ubuntu/Debian?

Postby Lantesh on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 am

That sounds like a great concept. Unfortunately as far as I know neither Mint or Ubuntu has anything available.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions