32-bit / 64-bit multi-arch for Mint/Ubuntu/Debian?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

32-bit / 64-bit multi-arch for Mint/Ubuntu/Debian?

Postby wingnut2292 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:15 am

I'm currently running Mint 5 and I'm thinking about upgrading to the new x86-64 version of Mint 5. I remember reading about a feature a couple years ago online. Some x86-64 Distros had a feature called multi-arch(itecture), where the kernel, HAL, the package manager and API calls were 32-bit/64-bit aware - Using 64-bit applications when possible, but switching to 32-bit compatibility mode and using only 32-bit programs if a program couldn't be utilized in 64-bit.

I remember a symptom of this feature was that there were /Opt-32 and /Opt-64 directories as well as a /Usr/bin-32 and /Usr/bin-64. The result of this was that you could mix 32- and 64-bit applications with out fear of incapability. I remember at that time there was no multi-arch in Ubuntu because there was still programing that needed to be done on APT by Debian to make this work. Is that finished, still being worked on or did I come to misunderstand something?
wingnut2292
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 32-bit / 64-bit multi-arch for Mint/Ubuntu/Debian?

Postby Lantesh on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 am

That sounds like a great concept. Unfortunately as far as I know neither Mint or Ubuntu has anything available.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions