nVidia 8600gts card.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cactusface

nVidia 8600gts card.

Post by Cactusface »

Hi Folks,
Guess what I'm new here. Had a try with Linux in the past, OK! I like Mint seems to do most things, even reads my Windows drives, etc. But I have a problem that I have had in the past and can't think how to cure it. Perhaps "nVidia" is the problem?

The problem is I can't set my video refresh rate higher then 60Hz and you know what that does to your eyes!! I have only just installed Mint, and am a complete beginner with Linux (Now Z80 assembler and PIC programming no problem). The other problem I have is installing software. How to?

My System is.

Asrock ConRoe 1333-D677 mobo.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz E6750
2Gb DDR-2 677 Ram (2x 1Gb)
Xpertvision nVidia 8600GTS PCI-e card, 512 GDDDR3 video memory
C drive is 80Gb in a caddy (swapable for Vista or Linux)
D drive is 250Gb for backup, photo storage, etc.

Can someone give my a few ideas or point me in the right direction.

Kind regards
Cactusface.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rhvkl

Re: nVidia 8600gts card.

Post by rhvkl »

hi

looks like a new pc ... I assume it's a new display (tft), too. In this case: 60Hz is enough. On the other hand you can install EnvyNG - if you haven't done yet - either by Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo envyng -g
or Elyssa / System / EnvyNG

Installing Software: you can use the Software Portal: http://www.linuxmint.com/software/
or you may have a look at the SynapticPackageManager (Elyssa / System / SynapticPackageManager)

hope this helps you out
rhvkl
celtic426

Re: nVidia 8600gts card.

Post by celtic426 »

Ya to install software you can click on the main menu button and go to package manager and search there. You can also use the specific mint installers in the same place or just download .deb files online which are easy to install. Go to removed .

Return to “Beginner Questions”