Bittorrent issue: closed ports

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Bittorrent issue: closed ports

Postby jakobcreutzfeldt on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:52 pm

I'm currently having problems trying to use bittorrent (I've tried both Transmission and Deluge). I can't seem to get them to recognize a port as being open. I've opened ports via the command line with iptables like so:
Code: Select all
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6881 -j ACCEPT

and I've verified that the rule was successfully added to the INPUT chain. I've tried using various port numbers. I've also tried doing this with Firestarter. Yet, invariably, the bittorrent clients report that the chosen port is closed.

I was previously using uTorrent in Windows XP and I had it set to use random ports. This worked without problems, so this is not a problem with the router's firewall...

Does anyone have any insight into what I might be doing wrong?? Thanks for your help!
jakobcreutzfeldt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Bittorrent issue: closed ports

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Transmission is default in Elyssa so it should not have problems with ports. However this can be a very tricky business
this is not a problem with the router's firewall

Don't be too sure!
Open the same port in the firewall and check
The TCP/IP packages may look slightly different
I don't seed any more (my upload has been limited by a dect phone downstairs) but when I did my router did not give me problems, but I've had strange problems in other situations and what to open and/or close was by no means straight forward
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby celtic426 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm not sure if doing it in the terminal will completely do it. Have you tried logging in to your router and doing it from there? That's usually your best bet. Check out portforward.com if you need help with that, or post back here.
celtic426
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jakobcreutzfeldt on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:25 am

Thanks for the replies!

Heh...well, unfortunately I don't have access to the router because I'm just renting a room and the internet connection was provided. But, like I said before, when I was in Windows immediately before I installed Linux, I had no problems with bittorrent (uTorrent as my client, to be specific) and that was with randomized ports! I have a dual-boot now though so I'm going to give it a try in Windows again to verify that it still works there. Ugh....I'm not looking forward to hanging out in Windows after enjoying Linux so much. :P
jakobcreutzfeldt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby celtic426 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:04 am

Yes linux is so much better. Heh, I don't know how tech-savvy your place is but try logging into the router with 192.168.1.1 or whatever your gateway is with password "admin". You don't need physical access to the router, just need the web interface. But then again it could just be something in linux.
celtic426
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions