Md5 Sum

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Md5 Sum

Postby Steven_J2 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:36 pm

Hi there. I am currently running Mint 5 xfce but wish to swap to gnome version. I have recently downloaded the Gnome version using Torrent. However, before I install Gnome version, I want to check the MD5Sum. I think I can just download this of the main website, correct? But then what do I do?
Steven_J2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Md5 Sum

Postby celtic426 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:55 am

I'm not sure how to answer your question, but you don't have to do a total reinstall to get xfce. You can download the xfce enviroment with apt-get and then choose that sessions from the logon menu.
celtic426
Level 1
Level 1

Postby squigglethecow on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:58 pm

AFter downloading the ISO you want to install you'll have to load it into a MD5 Sum program to see that ISO's CHeck sum (or whatever its called)

THen, you will have to go to the linux mint website and find what number it SHOULD be, and copy and paste it into the MD5 Sum program, then click 'compare'

If they are the same, your good to go.
squigglethecow
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Old Marcus on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 am

Open up a terminal window and in it type:

Code: Select all
cd 'directiory of mint gnome .iso'

Without the quotes, then type:

Code: Select all
md5sum LinuxMint-5-r1.iso

This should give you the md5sum of your download, then paste the md5sum from the website below it and compare them yourself. It shouldn't be too hard and you should notice if there are any errors.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions