MD5 SUM issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

MD5 SUM issues

Postby CtHManiac on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:24 pm

So, I downloaded the nullriver WinMD5SUM, and all that happy jazz, but what do I do from there?

I entered in 'MD5SUM LinuxMint-5.iso' and it gives me the following

'md5sum' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Does this mean in didn't download?

This is two computers now I have had the same issue. D: help!
CtHManiac
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MD5 SUM issues

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:38 am

Well I think you are to input the md5sum somewhere in that program - not a command or such
Edit//
Taken from memory - I think I used it in Win - entered the correct md5sum and the path to the iso, but memory could have failed me
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: MD5 SUM issues

Postby pluraldave on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:39 pm

I assume you downloaded it from here

The thing you downloaded is an installer. If you haven't already installed it navigate to the folder you downloaded it to and double click to start.

Follow the pretty standard windows install, selecting whatever options you like (start menu entry/desktop icon/whatever you want).

Start the program from your start menu item/desktop icon and a small popup box appears.

Click the [...] button next to the top field and navigate to the folder you downloaded the Mint .iso into.

Select the LinuxMint-5.iso file and the box turns completely white (looks like it's crashed - it hasn't). Wait for it to finish and the MD5 checksum for the file you are checking appears in the second field.

Check that against the checksum given on the download page. If they are the same burn the .iso to a CD/DVD depending on which version you downloaded, if they are different redownload the .iso.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions